Bullet Proof Quail

dusty

Nov 9, 2012
Went out today with a good friend of mine. Despite the rain we figured WTH lets go! We went down towards the border and had light rain and drizzle and started heading down the dirt road and came across a pretty cool Border Patrol officer. He told us the road was super slippery and he himself didn't want to go down it again, so we opted to try another area that he told us about. The rain came and went and we started hiking up and over this hill and saw some great areas. The two of us went up and down this hillside for only a glimpse of a few rabbits and some other various birds. My friend stopped suddenly and shot at a rabbit and missed as the rabbit was darting through the brush at a good pace. At that moment we both looked different directions as we saw a very large covey go in different directions. They were to far away to get off a shot.....So we both started working down the ridge and 400yds later we flushed them again. He shot twice and said they were coming at me. The first one was 20ft from me, i opted to let him pass me so i could get off the shot and I did....WTF he was perfectly lined up down my barrel flying directly away from me and I missed. Second bird fley by and same thing, lined it up, squeezed off and followed through, and I missed again?????? Saw another bird and didn't even shoot, oh well it was great fun and we were a soaking mess as we laughed about it all the way back to the truck. The two of us both had great shots and missed, this happened to us a few years ago and we had came to the conclusion that Quail are bullet proof when wet!!!!! Good times great company on a super wet day!!!!!

I shot quite a few the other 3 I lined up and knew I hit they flew away no poof no stutter. As I kept on hunting either me or my dog would pick up a fresh dead quail. 100 -200 yards where I pulled the trigger still warm I know I shot them and they went so far I never saw them fall. Tough little birds

Thank goodness for dogs. They sure make hunting more efficient.

Unfortunately after a thorough inspection of my barrel, low and behold I must of been shooting with my eyes closed again!!! I was looking forward to seeing a bent barrel!!!! I guess I should just stick to fishing...........

fishing!!!waiting for fall. I'll be tying some flies in the off season. :) I think there are enough of us for a cast and blast for quail opener in Kern. IN OCTOBER hahahaha

Need big flies for the fish I catch!!! HAHA

Attachments

• 28493_126238837390700_950151_n.jpg
    28493_126238837390700_950151_n.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 56
thanks, spent years deep sea fishing then started fly fishing. Rather do a 3 hour hike then play in the water than an endless boat ride and hope you hear a hit.

I still love driving the boat around for hrs and then finding a school and having it go off!!! I guess thats why I do it for a living now. Still like fly fishing and love bass fishing, the ocean is my greatest passion!!! The fish are bigger and meaner!!!

The picture of the white seabass and the yellow is nice. Both good fish.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu