CA Ducks - Breeding Survey

I take this survey with a grain of salt....They fly traditional survey areas....On a year like this where we had lots of rain in May, ducks are very dispersed....SoCal is not even included in this survey and Northwest California is no longer the waterfowl mecca it once was....Like Canada, farming practices here are killing our duck numbers....Almond groves instead of wheat, clean farming, and very little summer bug water left on wildlife areas and refuges.

ps....Fished Hodges yesterday afternoon....Lots of mallard production here.

pss...Gadwalls will always do well on years like this....They're last and latest of nesters....Probably a bunch of renesters to.

I take this survey with a grain of salt....They fly traditional survey areas....On a year like this where we had lots of rain in May, ducks are very dispersed....SoCal is not even included in this survey and Northwest California is no longer the waterfowl mecca it once was....Like Canada, farming practices here are killing our duck numbers....Almond groves instead of wheat, clean farming, and very little summer bug water left on wildlife areas and refuges.

ps....Fished Hodges yesterday afternoon....Lots of mallard production here.

pss...Gadwalls will always do well on years like this....They're last and latest of nesters....Probably a bunch of renesters to.

Steve

We can’t wait to talk waterfowl with you bud!

I’m sure the listeners will be pumped to hear that conversation !

Reactions: chessie
Brandon,

Is it this Sunday?...…I've been to Wister this summer, but I need to get out to San J....Lord knows it don't look like it did just a couple years back….;)

Yep....Thanks Brandon....May visit both San J & Wister....That way I tell the state of our ONLY two waterfowling wildlife areas in SoCal....lol

Last edited:
Reactions: stikbrandon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu