California bear population

breacher

Sep 4, 2012
Alpine, CA
SB1221 was passed back in september which banned the use of hounds for hunting bear and bobcats. If you haven't read the 2011 Bear Take Report, I attached it.

Hunters using hounds took 47% of the bears harvested last year. Now that this type of hunting is illegal, my theory is that the bear population with go up, NOT that it was lacking in any way. If anything, I am completely apposed to SB1221. California is actually towards the top as far as total black bear population. I was only curious what your thoughts were on the subject.

Obviously there are carrying capacity issues but I still think the bear population will bump up well over the 30,000 number we are reported to currently have.

Attachments

• 2011BearTakeReport[1].pdf
    348.5 KB · Views: 7
The bear population will go up i think also the quota of bears will be reached for the first time in years

D16hunter said:
The bear population will go up i think also the quota of bears will be reached for the first time in years

??? Actually if you look at the bear harvest reports on DFG website, the quota has been met (sometimes more) 6 out of the last 7 years. Not sure where you got that info.

I do agree that bear numbers will most likely go up. Harvest numbers may actually drop now that hunting behind dogs has been outlawed. Depending on the report year, that can be as much as 50% of the harvested bears that will be eliminated. Those hunters that hunted with dogs now can't and will revert to hunting what they can find vs. what the dog can find. Based on the stats in those reports, have lower success rates.

I've only killed one bear so my experienc is minimal but as much as I hate SB1221, I hope the bear numbers go up. That definitely does NOT = easy

I misread the 2011 harvest report originally it says the season did not close early for the second consectutive season but the quota of bears was taken i think not 100%
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/bear/docs/2011BearTakeReport.pdf

Hound hunters, in my opinion, helped the bear population by having the opportunity to decide on whether or not to take a bear. Most non-hound hunters, most of the time, will take what they stumble across. So a hound hunter will pass on a sow, or a yearling by having the chance to observe them in a tree. Us other folk, on the other hand, probably have less time to decide and are more likely to pull the trigger.

I've been lucky enough to take a couple bears, both while hunting deer. I've hunted with houndsmen, and those guys are rugged. It's truly too bad this state has it's head up it's ass...

I've always wanted to go hunt behind dogs. Guess it will be in another state now. Kicking myself for not doing it sooner! :(

I have never Bear hunted but really want to. I dont have hounds so I would be hunting with out anyways. Since my limited experience I dont have much valued input. I just hate how California makes everything so Difficult when it comes to guns and hunting. I would think that bear tag sales would even drop a little being that some people wouldnt have the time necessary to harvest a bear ( I am assuming that hunting with hounds would be a much faster hunt as opposed to with out).

Sfc2140 said:
I have never Bear hunted but really want to. I dont have hounds so I would be hunting with out anyways. Since my limited experience I dont have much valued input. I just hate how California makes everything so Difficult when it comes to guns and hunting. I would think that bear tag sales would even drop a little being that some people wouldnt have the time necessary to harvest a bear ( I am assuming that hunting with hounds would be a much faster hunt as opposed to with out).

Usually they are shorter hunts, 2-3 days from what I've seen. The dogs nose is the game changer. Trying to keep up with them would be the hard part. I will hunt behind dogs one day.....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu