CAMO FOR VARMINT HUNTING

SoCalHunter

Apr 10, 2011
Would like to hear what Camo everyone uses for varmint hunting and see the different ideas people have

I use Mossy Oak Brush series during times of less rain and the Seclusion 3D Open Country if we have had rain off and on. I also mix it up when I hunt the desert areas with a pair of light tan or slightly darker tan (like the 5:11's brand type) pair of pants when I hunt places where there is a lot of sand in the area that I will be sitting in when making a stand. I will then choose the shirt/jacket pattern I will wear according to the weather/temp there area has had in recent weeks. I can't tell you how many times I have hunted with friends that wear stuff with too much dark green or too much dark browns and blacks that stand out in the dezz like a D!<k on a fish and the opposite goes for the mountains as well.

I have done a lot of reading on the subject of coyote hunting. All the forums, coyote beginner guides, youtube videos , etc. say that the most important thing is to just get camo that matches your surroundings that you plan to hunt. They say that there is no particular "Best" pattern. As long as you blend in, cover your face and hands, and DONT MOVE. Also learn to use the wind and sun to your advantage. I am new to hunting but what I did was get on ebay and buy the cheapest camo that matched the terrain. I have gone out scouting and calling for coyotes and have had great luck calling them in to within 75yrds. Im still waiting to take my hunter safety course so I can legally shoot them on public land.

619HUNT said:
All the forums, coyote beginner guides, youtube videos , etc. say that the most important thing is to just get camo that matches your surroundings that you plan to hunt. They say that there is no particular "Best" pattern. As long as you blend in, cover your face and hands, and DONT MOVE.
+1
It does not make that big of a difference. I don't wear any particular pattern for predator hunting just make sure that you break up your background with a similar colored rock or plant. Try to use high ground when possible and play the wind.

It's important to wear colors that are not to to dark for the area you are hunting. Couple of examples with the kings. (my favorite) With different backgrounds.

Attachments

• 1212080940a (2).jpg
    1212080940a (2).jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 1227080859a.jpg
    1227080859a.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 33
Hunted with Wheels and his ASAT camo 3D suit and order a set when I got home. You can wear what you want under it depending on the weather and temperature and the ASAT over it. It has a mesh base with 3D leaf pattern kind of like a ghillie suit but it breaths and you don't burn up. I have been using the OpenCountry with good success, I like the bibs so when you do sit you don't have to worry about anything getting down between your top and bottom. Try to get a good face mask that is comfortable and works with glass' if you wear them, and can be lowered if you use mouth calls. I have tried a few masks before I found the right one for me.

I tend to not use stuff with too much dark/black in it....stands out a lot! Who is selling that old school ASAT still?

Look at the kill suits from AllPredatorCalls.com also. They are light, very well made, are extra long and really work. They are sort of a 3/4-length ghillie suit without the pants.

jeans faded out a bit, not to tight fitting. A t shirt long sleeves with maybe a small print..... you might think i am kidding but i am not. Yes with my bow its head to toe camo but with a bang stick camo is not needed. It's not like they are ducks or something. I am up around 20+ dogs this year and none were shot in camo.

Aeon

Ok I had camo pants on yesterday.
CC36A9CD-5802-4E80-AB14-7B52B48DFDD5-200-0000000E18F182B4.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu