Camping in Joshua Tree

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
The lady and I will be joining some friends to camping in Joshua Tree park. I believe we will be staying in a camp? Not to sure though. My question is can you hunt in Joshua Tree I was considering doing a couple coyote stands if i ave the chance. Also is there any tips or must see's for first timers to the area? thanks

Jdrivsd619 said:
The lady and I will be joining some friends to camping in Joshua Tree park. I believe we will be staying in a camp? Not to sure though. My question is can you hunt in Joshua Tree I was considering doing a couple coyote stands if i ave the chance. Also is there any tips or must see's for first timers to the area? thanks

You definately can not hunt in the park. There is a ton of BLM around there but it is difficult to access. I just camped there on New Years and I was able to find some D12 that you could access. I only hinted jacks but definately was a promising area. I will post up the coordinates in a little bit after I look them up. It was like a 30 minute drive from the park.

Take North Canyon Indian Drive off the 62 it is about 30 minutes south of Joshua Tree. Once you are on that road make a left on some of the dirt roads and it will take you back to the BLM. I spent a few hours trying to find a way into the BLM up there since there is a ton but like everything in CA it is completely blocked by private and highway non access. I hope no one gets upset for posting a spot on here this is literally 3 hours a way and I don't mind sharing some of my hard work finding acces to this area. Plus this is a vast BLM access area so there is a lot of spots for you to choose from.
I hope you get into some dogs. There are Yote and Bobcat up there. If nothing else there is definately a lot of Jack Rabbits in this area.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    264.1 KB · Views: 85
It's very generous of you to share this info Truduct. You can always share as a pm to limit who has access to the fruits of your hard work scouting.

Bonejour said:
It's very generous of you to share this info Truduct. You can always share as a pm to limit who has access to the fruits of your hard work scouting.
X2

Bonejour said:

Truduct, very gracious of you. But isn't that what we as a community should be about? Truduct wasn't putting up a big game spot or a nice covey of birds. He put up a spot to shoot some predators and jacks. Is he sharing his hard work for the world to see? Yep and that is awesome.

Hunter recruitment is a real thing. In California hunter numbers are dwindling and in turn we lose our voice politically. Sharing information like this is key to getting new hunters in the field who feel overwhelmed and have no idea where to begin. Do these new hunters need to put in their own hard work? Absolutely. But at least helping them get on some dogs is a great start to get them out there and build some confidence that they can do it and discover some things on their own.

Thank you for the info........ unfortunately my birthday was the day before we were gong to head out and well we are still recovering from the party festivities ........

bodomwarrior13 its funny you mention this.... I find myself constantly thinking about attempting to start some kind of organization to help get middle school or high school kids exposed into the hunting and out door life....

I often find myself wishing i had a mentor to help introduce me into hunting and the outdoors but i had no idea where to look, i only knew of two kids in my high school who hunted who didn't want to take me so i had to figure out the process myself which kinda sucked because i still haven't been successful on a deer in the last five seasons btw i just turned 22.

I just think it would be awesome to start a program getting more kids involved.... i feel like there is very few secrets left in san diego county as far as hunting goes. I feel a big disconnect between the older generation not trying to get the younger generations involved in fear they might loose their spots or "their deer" ..... what is hunting going to look like after the baby boomers fade off and stop hunting.... hunting economic crash jk ...

sorry guys just speaking a little about whats on my mind (this is verbatim and not detailed btw let me know if your interested in more details brothers)

Jon,

Your situation is not unique to us flatlanders....Being raised in Long Beach (Jordan High) I didn't have any younger friends that hunted either. In fact, I can't think of one that hunted (a lot fished)....I had my relatives and my dads old guys that would take me.....I also had NO youth hunts or anything that gave any kind of break to kids.....I read every outdoor Life, Sports Afield, and Field & Stream I could (no internet buddy).....It really wasn't until I got into college (SC & 21) that I started hunting with people my own age.

There's still tons of opportunities to hunt here locally.....Just need to stay involved as you are..... ;)

Yeah I just think that it would be really awesome to take a few teenagers out once or something a week to hike around and glass up some deer maybe some kids who otherwise wouldn't even know we have this resource that you and I and all the SCh'ers fight to keep using..... If there is something I have learned from hunting.... its that you really learn a ton about your self when you spend time on the side of a mountain being involved in nature... its a grounding and reconnecting experiences that I del could inspire some kids who might not have great guidance or opportunities..... Its amazing the type of camaraderie thats developed through such passion... sometimes I wish their was more I could do

I dont mind all the work i have had to do myself without any guidance actually its been a blessing and an excuse to rip around Otay Mountain and out to the dessert...... P.S. there is no deer on Otay Mounatin..... jk theres like three maybe :D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu