Cartago wild life area

dhntr48

Oct 7, 2015
I looked it up , its a type C wild life area at 300 acres or so . To me it looks like you would not need a pass to hunt there ? Two small ponds there , that can be seen from Highway #395 . But the newly flooded Owens lake bed should be attracting lots of ducks what about hunting out there . There's lots of dikes and flooded areas . Any one have any thought on that ?

I've seen that on the DFW web site and wondered if it was any good. I've never heard of anybody posting a report that they went there. I'd be interested in reading about it.

"Type C areas are often unstaffed lands and contain extensive upland habitats. Access is usually on a self-serve basis and no fee is required." So who's all going out on Sunday ;)

fish dog said:
I've seen that on the DFW web site and wondered if it was any good. I've never heard of anybody posting a report that they went there. I'd be interested in reading about it.
Yeah.... people don't post reports for places outside of town for good damn reason.

I am not even in CA anymore and I wouldn't be posting anything on a public forum about that valley out of respect for the locals. There are about a handful of serious waterfowlers from out of town that hunt that valley and they all talk. Some days you have to take a day off work when the weather is right.

Fish dog I have seen you post more than once about Cartago in the past with basic information you can find on the DFG site. Get in your truck and drive up there and find out for yourself!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nicapopolis said:
fish dog said:
Yeah.... people don't post reports for places outside of town for good damn reason.

I am not even in CA anymore and I wouldn't be posting anything on a public forum about that valley out of respect for the locals. There are about a handful of serious waterfowlers from out of town that hunt that valley and they all talk. Some days you have to take a day off work when the weather is right.

Fish dog I have seen you post more than once about Cartago in the past with basic information you can find on the DFG site. Get in your truck and drive up there and find out for yourself!

You know what, your right about that, especially a spot as small as that. Maybe some day, when I really retire (or hit the lotto, LOL), I'll have the time to do that.

If you check it out from the air you can see the flooded Owens lake bed , just field after field flooded. I saw post in October some guys hunted Cartago and got 14 ducks . Not too many reports since . Its 200 miles from my house I may try to hit it this week . But the mornings are 28 degrees or so :eek: .

But then again most spots are 200 plus miles from my house ??? Well on the up side gas is not $4.65 :)

ilovesprig said:
A friend of mine just hunted up there for 3 days......Long way to go for 3 ducks...... :(
That sounds about right Steve. All cylinders need to be clicking for good hunts in that valley.

Well staying at home , you get no ducks ! It's 184 miles from my house , 2 1/2 hour drive or so . Don't go in the water as the mud is bad , thought I was going to spend the night ??? Good habitat , but could be better . Scenery is worth the trip with the majestic hills as a back drop ;) One small lake remains , with puddles and ponds all around , lots of ice in the Am . I think I'll go back :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu