Catalina

i know two people who shot bucks on the island last year. One was a decent buck the other was not so much. Expensive but if you want something close with a near 100% kill it works.

Thanks Aeon,

Do you know how the meat was? I assume it was just fine on the decent size buck, but what about the other one? I know none of the meat would go to waste, but it would be a little disappointing if the dogs got more of it than the wife and I.

The price does seem a little expensive, but like you said it is almost 100%. It is close. And for me, as a newbie, it is guided! Those three things are pretty nice. Plus I bet I could get a few dives in while I was over there. :)

can you apply for that area or do you have to pay a guide to hunt it ? some one told me that they had killed all the deer off of that island

Pretty sure it's part of D15 so you have to buy an OTC tag and pay for the guide fee.

It's funny how often I hear "I don't want to shoot local deer because they taste bad" it's exactly the opposite, local deer are some of the best eating deer you can get. So yes they taste great!

I'm not recommending the hunt just because I think a out of state trip is more fun. Then again it's quick and easy and more or less a 100%

You can take the flyer over hunt and hit the dive Park and get Wet! Win win win

Yes, Catalina is part of D16, but that does not matter. What I have learned is that you just need to have 1 or 2 deer tags. It does not matter the zone or type of hunt. You must turn those over to the Catalina Island Conservancy in exchange for their "tags". Downside is you don't get your DFG tags back if unsuccessful. Upside is it is almost 100% chance of getting a deer.

Yeh from what I understand there's only the one outfitter to go through and its fairly pricey and not huge trophy potential. But for some just the novelty and coolness of hunting the island I could see being well worth it.

Hey ladiver, do you spearfish too by chance?

pretty sure its D15 and you need a tag for it.
in my twisted mind i say frack that islands. The conservancy wants the deer all dead as they are not native to the island. They alreday flew around in copters in slaughtered all the goats and pigs, the bison are on birth control. The deer are next. we help them and make them money in process so LETS NOT GO! make them pay for it

anyways here is my friends deer from last yea, with the drought in full swing do not expect to get a huge deer. My friends hunted hard and this was the biggest deer they came into contact with.

alim1299.jpg

Invisible man said:
$1800.00 for a chance at a SoCal buck. I will pass.

Same here. The good ol days of Catalina are gone. I missed that era by about two decades....

KWB on here has some stories and photos of those times.

Cool backed up for picture. Can you do without a guide if you know someone that lives there?

Old looking deer

Guide only and i think it's his 6xtc gunwerks,

It is expensive but I would love to hunt the Island. Where else other than Alaska could you hunt over looking the ocean?
It's more about the experience than the trophy potential.

cant you hunt the some of the coast lines on california ? specially up north ? Yeah I heard about them killing all the pigs off and goats my brother in law use to hunt the island for goats and pigs said it was some of the funnest hunting he had ever done and that its to bad that they killed them all off the island .

Lungpopper said:
It is expensive but I would love to hunt the Island. Where else other than Alaska could you hunt over looking the ocean?
Hawaii. Just read an article in eastmans bow hunting mag. Pretty good article. A little far for me but cool nonetheless.

millbro said:
Lungpopper said:
Hawaii. Just read an article in eastmans bow hunting mag. Pretty good article. A little far for me but cool nonetheless.
Yeah. Hawaii would be a fun place to hunt pigs.

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
millbro said:
Lungpopper said:
Yeah. Hawaii would be a fun place to hunt pigs.

Sent via Tapatalk
Pigs always fun but for bowhunters I'd also recommend a sheep or goat hunt on the BI... some challenging terrain to run around on. Turkey hunting is great too and not all that popular there, so not too much pressure.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu