Chasing a trophy

Sdbirds

You can't kill it from your couch.
Jul 9, 2012
El Cajon
Well I shot a good meat deer. Passed on 2 bigger forkes and a 2 x3. I got on a very nice 3 x 3 couldn't close the deal and missed a monster. Very wide and very tall with huge mass. Didn't find him today bummer better luck next year I hope. Thinking about this passing thing won't get my trophy if I shoot every buck I see but man that miss is still haunting me.

Re: Chaseing a trophy

The miss will probably still sting a little bit for a while. Hopefully you can find his sheds and keep track of him this summer and get after him again next year! Good luck!

At least you got out their i hunted 10 times and didnt kill a deer hunt him a22 or during the d16 archery season

Bummer u struck out but man I don't think I can hunt that canyon in September. I feel I'm in pretty good shape and had to drag out Steve's buck with another person and it whooped us. Plus I bow hunt alone and it's hot in first session. I'm going to set up a camera but that hike with out a deer is an ass kicker

That hike would be crazy draggin a deer out of by yourself my dad took me on a hike there when i was 8 or 9 we only hiked halfway but i didn't see how you could get a deer out with 2 or 3 people if you had killed him today though you would probably get out of the area tomorrow dehydrated i see your point of not going in there by yourself early in the year if hes there next year scout the area during bow season check your trail cams in the area you might get a chance at him you might be able to get one out of their butchered up

Killing deer in hot weather and remote is doable but requires fast work, I have hunted and killed deer in the Colorado river zone in the fall while on foot. If you kill in warm weather you need to gut and skin immediately if the cover is tall you can hang the whole deer if not you have to part it out and let it cool for a few hours (cool being a relative term) the challenge is to get the meat exposed to moving air and let some of the body heat off quickly. After that its best to beat feet and get the meat into either iced cooler or a walk in.

Snake Charmer said:
Killing deer in hot weather and remote is doable but requires fast work, I have hunted and killed deer in the Colorado river zone in the fall while on foot. If you kill in warm weather you need to gut and skin immediately if the cover is tall you can hang the whole deer if not you have to part it out and let it cool for a few hours (cool being a relative term) the challenge is to get the meat exposed to moving air and let some of the body heat off quickly. After that its best to beat feet and get the meat into either iced cooler or a walk in.

Thanks for the info I was talking about the Physical part I'm not worried about the meat but me dieing lol

u might be right, but if hes as big as u say, im sure he'll still be a big buck next year. go get em SD! 8)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu