Check any new Remington ammo you may have purchased

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido

For all of you out buying ammo? The two pictures are a recent ammo purchase at a Walmart. After purchasing the ammo it was noticed that the neck was cracked on one of the shell casings. So every round was inspected and 13 out of 60 of the shells had cracked necks.
This isn't Walmart's fault. This is the fault of the new manufacturer of Remington ammo since post bankruptcy purchase.
Vista outdoors purchased Remington ammunition post bankruptcy and seems to have no quality control. Please check your ammo before purchasing. A cracked shell casing will cause the firearm to exploded and cause severe injury, even death.

For all of you out buying ammo? The two pictures are a recent ammo purchase at a Walmart. After purchasing the ammo it was noticed that the neck was cracked on one of the shell casings. So every round was inspected and 13 out of 60 of the shells had cracked necks.
This isn't Walmart's fault. This is the fault of the new manufacturer of Remington ammo since post bankruptcy purchase.
Vista outdoors purchased Remington ammunition post bankruptcy and seems to have no quality control. Please check your ammo before purchasing. A cracked shell casing will cause the firearm to exploded and cause severe injury, even death.

wow, not good, is this for real and vetted

There was a time in life that I would respond to this with vigor as to how necks become cracked (you should always wear eye protection when shooting) but I'm too busy with work and tired at the moment and would invite everyone to do their own homework on this. In most cases it has to do with the brass not being stress relieved to soften the neck and allow bullet to slip through and into the brass and then be ignited upon igintion (the common term is annealing for softening the neck brass) check Aeons posts on this..... I have had it happen to me a few times when forming wildcat brass and as I will say again it is brass that has been work hardened and will release gas throughout the chamber/action and barrel when the neck becomes cracked and unless you are using black powder or smokeless powders in excessive forms in the wrong cartridge an explosion is not a part of the equation just gas release in the wrong form through the action, Failure is surely an option but a detonation/explosion would be in the realm of black powder or smokeless in the most wrong of forms. The worst I have experiencied in my nieve years of learning how to reload back from the middle 70's until now was primer leak.

also could be an other cause ,I read other post on other forums, guys shooting 10 year old ammo, left in the heat, caused a chemical reaction, and degrade of the gun powder, and gas attacked the the brass at the molecular level. thus cause defective brass, and I believe that. could happen. it depends how it was stored. but who knows it could be defective brass from the OEM.

A friend of my wife told her, her husband had ammo he recently purchased that had that very issue. I told her I wanted to see it so she took a picture and sure enough, 6 of twenty had cracks. At that time I had no idea it may have been a wide spread and told her to have her husband contact the manufacturer and see what their response was. I haven't heard what he did if anything but, now I will make sure to get word to him about this.

I was in Colorado a couple months ago and Walmart was no longer selling firearms or ammo. Worker there said Walmart will no longer sell ammo anywhere in CO.

Walmart use to sell ammo in my area but when they did, they had very limited supplies and most of that had little demand.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu