Cleveland National Forest - Booby Traps

@Invisible man - We went to that pond near Kessler Flats around mile marker 6 on Eagle Peak Road. There are two entrances to the trail to the pond from the road. One from the little dirt parking lot and the other just down the way with a large tree stump and wire. The traps were found at both entrances. And yes... We did see four does that day, lol!

Did you file a police report?

@Aeon - Yeah I filed a police report with the feds. Here's a learning tip (you probably know this, but I did not):

I initially called DFG because I see them rolling around all the time in CNF. They do not respond to this type of incident. I referred to Sheriff's.
Sheriff's told me they did not respond because it was National Forest and they did not respond to calls in that area. I was referred to the CNF.
I called the CNF main Office (on the back of my CNF Atlas book). They transferred me to their agents.

The agents were on the ball! They were very responsive. They told me they found more traps out there and were conducting an investigation.

End state, forest service for CNF are good to go!

No didn't know..... Never had to call for anything while in the nf. Lots of shenanigans going on down in sd.

mancalledhorse said:
@Aeon - Yeah I filed a police report with the feds. Here's a learning tip (you probably know this, but I did not):

I initially called DFG because I see them rolling around all the time in CNF. They do not respond to this type of incident. I referred to Sheriff's.
Sheriff's told me they did not respond because it was National Forest and they did not respond to calls in that area. I was referred to the CNF.
I called the CNF main Office (on the back of my CNF Atlas book). They transferred me to their agents.

The agents were on the ball! They were very responsive. They told me they found more traps out there and were conducting an investigation.

End state, forest service for CNF are good to go!

mancalledhorse

I want to commend you first of all for your service on keeping us free & safe. secondly for doing a good job in finding these booby traps. & reporting them.
I also want to say that I am happy neither your son or you were not injured. those nails could do some damage. Who ever set those traps are dangerous people. & have no conscience That's what makes them dangerous. anyone catching these people in the becareful. do not intervene call 911 as soon as possible.
HTH

Pretty crazy stuff right there! Someone definitely wanted to dissuade people from going down to the pond!

One point that may clear up any doubt you may be receiving, in your video (at the :20 mark) you say that you and your son were "bow hunting", but in the pictures you posted on the other site, you clearly were not (at least not when those pictures were taken). Some people don't believe anything they read on the internet and then there's others that do until they have a reason to doubt. Personally, I've seen enough craziness (all over the CNF) that I don't doubt any level of stupidity out there....

mancalledhorse
My wife & I are both part native indigenous. I believe wackum did not mean to offend.

wackum
I believe you are good people but we need to not speculate who it is or who it is not.
hope no offense taken

Longbowhunter

@Socalhntr - we (I was) bow hunting earlier in the morning (dawn). Saw some does but no shot. My son doesn't have an A-22 tag, so we decided to pull the 22lr (that is a MP 15-22, 22lr that we have) out and go squirrel hunting/ scouting. We went were I always see squirrels (that whole area is usually covered with them, plus I wanted to see if I saw any deer tracks, since I hadn't see any new tracks there in a long time). That is how we ended up at that pond area. I hope that clarifies it up a little.

FYI, did you know that if you call 911 from your cell phone, you automatically go to CHP? That is why they ask you where the violation occurred or where you are at before transferring you to the appropriate agency. I just don't know if they would transfer you to the USFS in this instance.

I had someone ask me if I always go hunting in tactical gear and carrying assault weapons. Hey, digital (we called them "did-gees") cammies are great cammo. I have been getting the same results with them as my Sitka cammo. They're my old issued cammies.

Plus that was a 22lr rifle we had (the boy thought it was cool and wanted). Not much of an "assault weapon" if you ask anyone who knows about firearms. It is like having a Pinto dressed up as a Porche, lol! It shoots great and it is a nice plinker too! Strictly a target and rodent rifle. Maybe turkey (because you can use a pellet gun on them) but that is pushing it.

I did see that comment and got a chuckle out of it. Who cares how a guy dresses and what he uses (as long as it's legal)??? LOL And I agree, there are always a lot of squirrels there 8) BTW, I didn't doubt you. Good on you for notifying the authorities and for cleaning up the traps! I keep all the different #s for authorities in my phone for that very reason. NF, BP, Sheriff, CHP, DFG, local police, etc..

mancalledhorse

yes but with 911 they know your position by GPS, & will dispatch the correct law enforcement. CNF.
well any way that's how it supposed to work. I worked hard all my life. In other words working too many hours, & not spending more time with the wife & kids.
it's good to see all the young fathers spending time with their kid's.

I got ya Socalhntr. I felt it should be clarified anyways. You know how it is in forums. Post here and post there with a piece of the story here and a piece there, pretty soon it gets confusing and convoluted. I usually write chronologically as it happens. But responding back and forth, gets things spotty.

You know what sucks? My wife is now worried about me going hunting. I hate the fact that who ever planted the traps has effected my family in someway.

The last time I went out, I reverted back to my old tactics of patrol in anticipation of booby traps and being ambushed (making note of vehicles were parked in the area about a 1/4 mile up or down the road from where I am hunting, walking within the shadows of trees and avoiding silhouetting myself).

I even was looking for possible sniper positions (heck, if they were going to booby trap, that would be a great place for an ambush since the person would be injured and relatively stationary. You can just pick them off from a distance.). In my mind, anyone who is willing to put others in harms way is willing to finish the deal.

Wow, I thought I was done with that...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu