CNF or ANF?

Drake Dunn

Nov 28, 2016
What's a better NF to go hunt for turkey or boar? I've always hunted sierra and never seen one either and have hunted a while and am debating on what forest I want to really spend time scouting and hunting.

Anyone have any personal experience?

I'm a bow hunter if that changes anything

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve spent my life in the Angeles if it has either I’d be REALLY REALLY surprised. I don’t know much about the Cleveland

You a deer hunter I take it? Or small game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve hunted everything in the Angeles. Iv hiked 4x4ed (before they closed all the roads) and rock climbed all over it for over 25years. I have never ever seen a pig or turkey. Or sign of any kind.

I live on the edge of it and drive it and spend time in it most weekends.

I’ve hunted everything in the Angeles. Iv hiked 4x4ed (before they closed all the roads) and rock climbed all over it for over 25years. I have never ever seen a pig or turkey. Or sign of any kind.

I live on the edge of it and drive it and spend time in it most weekends.

Wow.. that's really awesome you do all that
But sad news for me hahaha

They're are no turkeys or pigs in ANF.....There could be a few turkeys left in San berdoo NF from the planting in 1993
(I have not had a report of one in years) & possibly a few in Riverside Co.

They're are no turkeys or pigs in ANF.....There could be a few turkeys left in San berdoo NF from the planting in 1993
(I have not had a report of one in years) & possibly a few in Riverside Co.

Sounds like I'm stuck in SD with the info you gave me a few days ago haha

I hear there's a few pigs in Los Padres.. but if it's pigs you're after, you're likely better off going with a guide service with access to private lands that'll put you on em with better success.

I'm more after turkey but I mean if there is turkey I feel like there will be pig close

I've come across turkey in San Bernardino NF, watched them walk through fields while hunting for deer on the North Side of D14. I haven't seen pig in any so cal NF. There are ton's of turkey on all the beautiful private land down here in San Diego. If you get lucky, there are a few places than you can call them to you in CNF. Good luck!

I've come across turkey in San Bernardino NF, watched them walk through fields while hunting for deer on the North Side of D14. I haven't seen pig in any so cal NF. There are ton's of turkey on all the beautiful private land down here in San Diego. If you get lucky, there are a few places than you can call them to you in CNF. Good luck!

When's the last time you saw a turkey in SBNF?.....Just curious

When's the last time you saw a turkey in SBNF?.....Just curious

The last ones I saw were near Big Pine Flats 3 years ago (I would see them deer hunting). A caviat in that is that I haven't hunted up there the last two years.

Thanks......It's at least that long since a biologist friend of mine has said there's been any reports of turkeys in SBNF.....Which sucks!

I don’t think CNF in Riv Co has any turkey. I would be thrilled if it did, but haven’t seen or heard any signs otherwise. A co-worker said he saw “tons of turkeys” near Tenaja area and “some of the biggest goblers ever” near Santa Rosa Plateau. Find it really hard to believe. Been to Santa Rosa several times hiking with the family and have never personally seen any signs of turkey. And last time I was in the Tenaja area, I don’t know how you’d see “tons” of anything other than chaparral and rocks.
Best bet for turkeys and pigs is north.

I don’t think CNF in Riv Co has any turkey. I would be thrilled if it did, but haven’t seen or heard any signs otherwise. A co-worker said he saw “tons of turkeys” near Tenaja area and “some of the biggest goblers ever” near Santa Rosa Plateau. Find it really hard to believe. Been to Santa Rosa several times hiking with the family and have never personally seen any signs of turkey. And last time I was in the Tenaja area, I don’t know how you’d see “tons” of anything other than chaparral and rocks.
Best bet for turkeys and pigs is north.
I’ve hunted for small game in the Tenaja area many times in the last three years and never seen or heard a turkey. I’ve also talked with various rangers and forest personnel there and they say there are no turkeys. Admittedly I’ve never ventured way back in toward the back of Pendleton. Not sure what your pal saw?

I’ve hunted for small game in the Tenaja area many times in the last three years and never seen or heard a turkey. I’ve also talked with various rangers and forest personnel there and they say there are no turkeys. Admittedly I’ve never ventured way back in toward the back of Pendleton. Not sure what your pal saw?
Same here. Maybe he got turkey and quail mixed up.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu