Colorado 3rd Season Clown Show

WisterJunkie

Oct 12, 2014
So we drew 3rd season deer tags this year. The season runs Nov 12-18. I planned on picking up an OTC bull tag as well. We were set to leave this morning (Thursday) get there tomorrow and scout, and hunt till next Friday. Due to circumstances out of my control I learned this week I have to be in court for work today and again Tues. Spoke to my buddy, and we decided we will drive up tomorrow, hunt Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning then high tail it back to be at court Tues morning. Wanted to have the whole week to try to find a good buck and a bull, but we're gonna have to work fast and pray God sends us some good deer day 1.
My buddy's deer from the last time we hunted this unit20191105_164517.jpg

Great looking buck! Congratulations hope you have similar success this year.

Good luck! I'm considering a 3rd season for a deer hunt next year. Not sure I am ready for the single digit weather!

Good luck! I'm considering a 3rd season for a deer hunt next year. Not sure I am ready for the single digit weather!
Don’t forget wind chill, I shot a bull opening weekend of 2nd rifle in 2019 in -30 to -40 windchill, absolutely brutal.

Reactions: 180ls1
Set up this morning to glass where we saw the deer yesterday. Find about 20 does and 3 bucks across the riverbed about a mile away. We set out to put a sneak on them, but as so often happens in public land, two hunters spook them off. Luckily they cross the river towards us and start working our way. They go out of sight then come over the knoll ahead of us. We get down and the deer are clueless. As they mill around we try to range them, but neither of our range finders will pick up any distance. I'm estimate they are about 200-250, so we both pick out a buck to shoot. As we are getting settled the deer spook to our right followed by a coyote. They deer kind of loop back around towards the river and when they drop off a ridge we quickly make a move to cut them off. We circle to where we think they are and sure enough they are feeding in a draw. A 4x4 is hot on a does trail about 200 yards away. I send a 143 grain ELDX his way and hear a "THWAP" he runs about 50 yards and then faceplants in the sage. We make our way to where we think he is, but can't locate him. So after about 30 minutes I'm thinking he may have got up. I decide to check further up the draw and as I come over the ledge I see the 3x3 about 80 yards away looking at me. I wave at my buddy to come over and 1 shot later the second buck is planted in the snow. We go back and are able to find my buck. Fun morning. Quartered and packed the bucks to the truck and made a plan to try to get a bull in morning. 20221112_115501.jpg20221112_115450.jpg20221112_120721.jpg20221112_092152.jpg20221112_105056.jpg

Attachments

• 20221112_115448.jpg
    20221112_115448.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 15

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu