Colorado archery/rifle elk

Benjammin

Feb 5, 2015
Alpine, California
Good evening to all. Looking to see if anyone has hunted unit 61 Montrose area. Trying to do as much time on comp i.e. Success rates ,tags, harvest numbers etc. kinda liking 61 & just wanted to see if any fellow sch members have been in that area as draws must be in by 4/5. Any info about climate terrain or general info would be greatly appreciated . Thank you very much & good luck to all.

Spend some time on the Colorado DOW and Atlas. They have all kinds of info to help you pick a unit. Check out the draw stats for 2015 to see GMU's you can actually draw. A good portion of prime elk country is avail for archery OTC.

Unit 61 is a trophy area. Unit 62 is good and only a dirt road separates the two. You can camp or stay down in Delta or Montrose depending on which end of the unit you are hunting.

I've hunted private land in 64 with a guide for the past three years, with rifle. Hunted first rifle the first two years, and second rifle this past year. If you are going for elk with rifle on public, I'd go first or third. Several reasons: combo tags are given for second and fourth season, so you'll have that many more hunters in the woods looking for anything to shoot at. It puts the elk off and even if you spot one one, it is much harder to predict where to intercept them. Second reason is that there is a break between second and third seasons, but none between first and second or between third and fourth. That, too, let's them settle down. The weather there is always variable, but archery up through first season You are likely to have dry, warm weather. The elk won't be very active in daylight when it's warm, but if you can find temperature sinks and know where they feed and water, you'll have less ground to cover. Those are just some thoughts. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss gear, patterns we observed, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu