Columbia Blacktail?

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
I was doing some research and saw we have opportunity to pursue this species in CA. I haven't heard much about this deer and am thinking about maybe putting in for Blacktail units here in CA, while keeping my Mule Deer apps in other states. As for what my goals are, I think it'd be cool to hunt another species of deer if that option is available to me. Is this a realistic strategy, or should I just stick with Mule Deer zones?

I know a guy who hunts those deer ...they are further south than the Internet will have you believe. An A zone tag a a few D zones will put you on the money...

Old school... Love it Eddie.

So there you go get tags A/D or A/B tags in the area where A & D or A & B zones come together

Generally speaking , for Blacktail , I would focus on the B zone , just inland from the coastal Mtn Range. Chances for a larger buck is usually better here and there is more public land to hunt than in A Zone. I have hunted them both . I have hunted B zone for over 20 years . Personally , I hunt B-2 but that does not mean its the best B zone ( although I think it is : ) I just live in B-2. One of my tactics this season will be to hunt the areas that were completely closed ( not hunted at all ) last season during the fire. I saw a number of good bucks there after the fire and during the rut . Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
A and B zones. Just know that A zone is super hot and opens mid summer. I hunt Mendocino NF and a lot of pincher bug small forks with no eye guards have been the usual deer I see taken. Like anywhere else, there are plenty of nice ones. Good luck if you make it out there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu