COMPARE NOTES : Marlin Lever-Gun Front-Sight issue

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
Today I picked-up my 2nd Marlin Lever-Action. When I rec'd the 1st one a few years ago, the front sight was all kindsa loose. I didn't figure out on that one until I'd tried to initially shoot it with the iron sites and was driving myself crazy because I was getting ridiculous groupings that made no sense. I eventually discovered that one had this issue. Since my intent was to use a low-powered optic anyway, on that one I just applied a little Blue Loctite in there and then moved it to where visually it appeared as close to center as I could possibly detect just be looking at at from above. Let it dry. Then proceeded to mount that brush-gun scope and never looked back.

So today on my pickup day, I bother to check this while in their presence, Son-of-a-Blip if this one isn't ALSO SUPER LOOSE within the DoveTail! I think I can actually take it out of the DoveTail with my fingers if I were to continue to push from Right-to-Left (looking down from above with muzzle pointed away from me).

So now this has got me wondering... is it done intentionally this way? When you move it over, you can see the 2nd screw for the Ramp is apparently underneath the Dovetail.

Hrmm... that doesn't *seem* to be the intent... because in the manual it clearly instructs the user to Drift the Rear sight for windage adjustments. So What-in-the-Flying-Truck were they actually thinking by not affixing this front site blade properly? Is it because of the popularity of the XS Skinner Sights perhaps? So they are thinking they'll just make it easier for the user to do that upgrade or something? Is the thought easier access to that 2nd Ramp screw, since wouldn't have to drift-out the front site blade??

Call me crazy, be this seems Whack as all Hell that they'd let one out there doors like this!

And there are a great many occurrences of this same story! So far best suggestion seems like cut a small square or sliver of Aluminum soda can to slide-in and wedge underneath the dovetail along with a lil dab of LocTite. And several saying create a stipple on the bottom surface of the blade sight with the punch before sliding it in.

I figure I'll just do like last time and dab in some BlueLoctite, put it as eyeballed to center as I can perceive with my eye. Let it dry, then go right to installing the Weaver 1-3x20mm scope, and forget about trying to get the irons working.

Highly unlikely, but In the future I may experiment with trying a RedDot or the Ghost Ring sights. But for now no need in messing with the success of using a product I know works and that I have in my hands.

So tomorrow, DNZ Game Reper 1-piece Mount, the Weaver Classic... then run the Nikon Spoton app and give it the bullet data and Target vs Zero Distance to determine where the shots need to hit the paper at 25yds for my desired 100yd zero.

For now I'll use this free box of ammo they kicked me down for my troubles of having to deal with this front site issue.

These are just some Armscor 240gr Lead Cowboy Action rounds. Doesn't even show the velocity on the box!

Then eventually when I score a couple boxes of Barnes VOR-TX 225gr XPB's, I'll take her out somewhere to fine-tune the actual zero at 100yd.

Soo looking foreward to having 10rds in the tube! Trigger is a little stiffer than the 336, from what I recall, but that should ease up rapidly after the first couple boxes. One thing for sure noticed that the action worked real nice compared to my 336 BL!

And soo much of a slimmer and lighter feel to this gun! I'm loving this!

Email Marlin with your issue. They need to know about it and you might get something extra for your trouble.

Reactions: TheGDog
Submitted tactfully upset note via their site this AM.

Now just waiting on the LocTite to dry...

P.S. The story with the brightly colored towel is that some kid left it at our house years ago at one of the Birthday Pool Parties we hosted for my boy. It was a little tattered already, and a smaller kids size, so I decided to use it underneath when I clean'em or work on 'em. Plus the Happy design always makes me smile and think about the good times at his BDays whenever I pull it out! :)

Weaver Classic 1-3x20mm only 8.5oz! These are perfect for leverguns.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu