Convert my AR to 6.8 spc?

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
So a few years ago I poured a bunch of money into my first AR build. It is a left handed Stag 556. Only problem is I put a 24" bull barrel on the gun and it weighs a ton and really can only be shot of of a bench or sticks so as a hunting rifle it sucks. Basically it just sits in my safe. I have another AR I built in 556 that is great for hunting only weighs 6lbs i love it.

What are your thoughts on converting the gun to a 6.8 with a 16" barrel? I can make the conversion for about $300. Since it is a left handed gun 6.8 is my only other option. I really dont know how much I will use it as a big game hunting rifle since I enjoy carying a more traditional rifle in the field. But I dont know a lot of people are using black guns and it sounds like the 6.8 is an accurate round out of a short barrel.

Also if anyone is interested in a 556 stainless 24" bull barrel let me know because I am over it. It's fun punching clovers but bench shooting just isnt for me.

6.8spc is a good round, carriers and bolts are proven and work.

A lot of people are hunting with them.

A rad option is to get a 6mm upper like mine. It's a 6.8 case necked to 6mm pushes 65gr vmax at 3400 fps with no fuss

Attachments

• 20130804_095323.jpg
    20130804_095323.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 20
I don't have a black gun because it's camo but I hunt with my 556 all the tiu can shoot from 36g to 63g balistic tips. When I need more I grab my ar10 in 243. It has a 20" barrel and rocks pout to 500 yards. But I do wish I had more then a 223/556 but lighter the. An my ar10. I say do it.

Truduct said:
So a few years ago I poured a bunch of money into my first AR build. It is a left handed Stag 556. Only problem is I put a 24" bull barrel on the gun and it weighs a ton and really can only be shot of of a bench or sticks so as a hunting rifle it sucks. Basically it just sits in my safe. I have another AR I built in 556 that is great for hunting only weighs 6lbs i love it.

What are your thoughts on converting the gun to a 6.8 with a 16" barrel? I can make the conversion for about $300. Since it is a left handed gun 6.8 is my only other option. I really dont know how much I will use it as a big game hunting rifle since I enjoy carying a more traditional rifle in the field. But I dont know a lot of people are using black guns and it sounds like the 6.8 is an accurate round out of a short barrel.

Also if anyone is interested in a 556 stainless 24" bull barrel let me know because I am over it. It's fun punching clovers but bench shooting just isnt for me.
I thought of doing the same thing recently since my 5.56 AR has turned into a safe queen also. Post your finished product.. I'd be interested to see what u went with. Are u piecing it together or buying a complete upper?

All I will need to do is buy the stag left 6.8 bolt, barrel and some magazines. I think I am going to go with a 16" barrel stag has one for a relatively good price with the left hand feed ramps I need. The barrel I have now doesnt have the left hand feed ramps and it works fine but might as well do it right. I know it isnt going to be punching 1/4" groups but the last time I checked most big game is bigger then 1/4" so I think it will be a fun gun. I will try and post some pictures of the gun as it sits now when I get home. It has all the best stuff on it kind of let my first build get crazy. It has a real nice leupold on it also.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu