Convert my AR to 6.8 spc?

TRICER

So a few years ago I poured a bunch of money into my first AR build. It is a left handed Stag 556. Only problem is I put a 24" bull barrel on the gun and it weighs a ton and really can only be shot of of a bench or sticks so as a hunting rifle it sucks. Basically it just sits in my safe. I have another AR I built in 556 that is great for hunting only weighs 6lbs i love it.

What are your thoughts on converting the gun to a 6.8 with a 16" barrel? I can make the conversion for about $300. Since it is a left handed gun 6.8 is my only other option. I really dont know how much I will use it as a big game hunting rifle since I enjoy carying a more traditional rifle in the field. But I dont know a lot of people are using black guns and it sounds like the 6.8 is an accurate round out of a short barrel.

Also if anyone is interested in a 556 stainless 24" bull barrel let me know because I am over it. It's fun punching clovers but bench shooting just isnt for me.

6.8spc is a good round, carriers and bolts are proven and work.

A lot of people are hunting with them.

A rad option is to get a 6mm upper like mine. It's a 6.8 case necked to 6mm pushes 65gr vmax at 3400 fps with no fuss

Attachments

• 20130804_095323.jpg
    20130804_095323.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 20
I don't have a black gun because it's camo but I hunt with my 556 all the tiu can shoot from 36g to 63g balistic tips. When I need more I grab my ar10 in 243. It has a 20" barrel and rocks pout to 500 yards. But I do wish I had more then a 223/556 but lighter the. An my ar10. I say do it.

Truduct said:
So a few years ago I poured a bunch of money into my first AR build. It is a left handed Stag 556. Only problem is I put a 24" bull barrel on the gun and it weighs a ton and really can only be shot of of a bench or sticks so as a hunting rifle it sucks. Basically it just sits in my safe. I have another AR I built in 556 that is great for hunting only weighs 6lbs i love it.

What are your thoughts on converting the gun to a 6.8 with a 16" barrel? I can make the conversion for about $300. Since it is a left handed gun 6.8 is my only other option. I really dont know how much I will use it as a big game hunting rifle since I enjoy carying a more traditional rifle in the field. But I dont know a lot of people are using black guns and it sounds like the 6.8 is an accurate round out of a short barrel.

Also if anyone is interested in a 556 stainless 24" bull barrel let me know because I am over it. It's fun punching clovers but bench shooting just isnt for me.
I thought of doing the same thing recently since my 5.56 AR has turned into a safe queen also. Post your finished product.. I'd be interested to see what u went with. Are u piecing it together or buying a complete upper?

All I will need to do is buy the stag left 6.8 bolt, barrel and some magazines. I think I am going to go with a 16" barrel stag has one for a relatively good price with the left hand feed ramps I need. The barrel I have now doesnt have the left hand feed ramps and it works fine but might as well do it right. I know it isnt going to be punching 1/4" groups but the last time I checked most big game is bigger then 1/4" so I think it will be a fun gun. I will try and post some pictures of the gun as it sits now when I get home. It has all the best stuff on it kind of let my first build get crazy. It has a real nice leupold on it also.

Back