Copper Performance - Your Experience?

fish dog

Apr 28, 2015
Johnson City, TN
I was going to post this in the "proving Copper" thread but it been up long enough to have probably run its course and I didn't want to hijack it so I'll start my own for this question. This is a question for the frequent used of unleaded rifle ammo. First I'll tell my one experience, which was 5 or 6 years ago then I'll ask my question.

Ammo used in this by both os us was 7mm mag Hornady GMX 139 gr copper

Went pig hunting with my son. We had hunted two days and were about to leave the ranch and head for home empty handed. As we approached the gate my son look over and loudly whispers "Pigs!" I say "where?" (not seeing them yet) He points and we see two pigs walking down the fence line about 75 yards from us. We lined up an them, him taking the left one, me the right. They were below us, walking down a hill so we were shooting down at them. When we fired his went down like a ton of ricks, DRT. Mine squealed and an to the bottom of the draw and then down the draw, running through grass that was higher then he was. I went after mine and when I got to the bottom of the draw saw a pretty good blood trail so I didn't think he'd got far. A few minutes later I found him lying next to a long but still alive so I gave him another round to finish him. Now, to detail the bullet performance. My son's pig was spine shot just behind the head and the bullet virtually detonated leaving a hole you could almost put your fist into, of course severing the spine. Nothing left of that bullet to recover. Mine the initial shot hit a little off center and hit the shoulder blade, the bullet expanded and made a wound channel about an inch wide down the outside of the ribs running from the high chest area and exiting near the belly (due to the downhill angle of the shot). No real vitals were hit but he bled like a stuck pig (pun intended) as he ran up the draw. The second round (to finish the job) he was lying down and it went in his back near the neck and exited out the chest. It didn't hit any rib or other bone and it went in 7 mm and came out 7 mm. No apparent expansion at all. Both round exited so there was no bullet to recover.

Now the question. Based on the above experience it appears that the copper bullets expand good if they hit something solid, like bone. On the other hand, if they don't happen to hit any bone there didn't seem to be any expansion as the second round appeared to enter and exit the same size. Of course, as I said, no bullets were recovered so I don't know it there was any expansion at all but just by looking at the wounds it appeared that if the copper bullets hit bone the expanded and if they didn't hit anything solid they didn't. What are the experiences of y'all regarding the expansion of copper bullets vs. lead. I used to hunt with Nosler Partitions and they never failed to expand no matter where or what was hit. Also, since this was 5 or 6 years ago have thing improved as far as copper bullet performance?

this has been discussed but.... ive talked with and actually met with Barnes bullets. Ive had the opportunity to shoot into ballistics gel. (not that it is perfect but it helps give a general idea of performance)
a recovered lead bullet will be in pieces. A recovered copper bullet should have near 100% weight retention. I shoot barnes my dad shoots hornaday gmx i think they perform the same.

lead will break into many pieces copper does not or should not. it flowers very well according to my findings and according to Barnes you can shot a smaller/lighter bullet or smaller caliber and get the same or better results due to the weight retention. lots of guys are taking there bigger caliber rifles and shooting deer at 100 yards with copper and the bullet just passes through. If perhaps they have used a smaller/lighter bullet or caliber it may not have passed through?

however shot placement is always in play as well as BC of the individual bullet and how each cartridge is loaded powder type charge ect... Copper is lighter so it may not be able to shoot as far?

Ive hunted the condor zone for years so i switched to copper a long time ago and never had a problem if i do my job. I actually like it since when im able to recover a bullet it is always in 1 piece and looks great in my display case.

I keep considering an early trial of copper in my 243. However, it seems to frequently be sold out in the online stores (I don't live near Fine Firearms but I'll definitely be going there before Fall to get some more gear).
I've noticed that copper ammo seems to come in slightly smaller grain sizes than lead. For example, the largest 243 ammo I can find in copper is 90grain vs. 100grain in lead. Even the 90grain says it is only for rifles with a 1-9 twist or faster. Most of the larger 243 copper ammo is 85grains. Any thoughts on why there isn't much 100grain copper for 243? (It wouldn't stabilize because it is lighter than lead??)

I almost spent $52 for 20 rounds of the 90grain copper today (including shipping) but then decided I'd wait because I've got until 2019 to get used to copper.

GMX has a polymer ballistic tip. Makes no sense to me why it wouldn't have opened on the second shot. The first two sound as though they performed as intended, which for ballistic tips means rapid opening. I suppose muzzle velocity in your second shot may not have allowed opening, but if that were the case 75 yards is not much different and I'd have expected similar results. Interested to hear from the ballistics experts.

I shoot both Barnes x and Nosler partitions both bullets have performed well for me. I have no experience with the Hornady's. It has been my experience that the Barnes bullets work well without the necessity of striking bone. I have had the privilege of watching several dozen elk being shot over the years with Barnes and Noslers and have never seen any difference in how they succumb to a properly placed shot. All the bullets I have recovered both Barnes and Nosler have shown classic mushrooming with the Noslers shedding some lead in the process and the Barnes nearly always intact weight wise.

DanSanDiego said:
I keep considering an early trial of copper in my 243. However, it seems to frequently be sold out in the online stores (I don't live near Fine Firearms but I'll definitely be going there before Fall to get some more gear).
I've noticed that copper ammo seems to come in slightly smaller grain sizes than lead. For example, the largest 243 ammo I can find in copper is 90grain vs. 100grain in lead. Even the 90grain says it is only for rifles with a 1-9 twist or faster. Most of the larger 243 copper ammo is 85grains. Any thoughts on why there isn't much 100grain copper for 243? (It wouldn't stabilize because it is lighter than lead??)

I almost spent $52 for 20 rounds of the 90grain copper today (including shipping) but then decided I'd wait because I've got until 2019 to get used to copper.

copper is much lighter then lead so the bullets must be longer to make up some but not all the weight difference. if tried to make the same weight copper the bullet would get too long. I reload 243 among many others if you are anywhere near North Los Angeles id be happy to help work up a load and get some brass loaded up. I also have a range not 15 minutes from the house for testing.

Well I'm the copper hater too hard and if you hit bone or it travels 3' in body tissue it will DRT. Very accurate must be pushed hard to get expansion and GMX needs a little more.

The second shot may have expanded hard to tell without the bullet or calipers to check the exit wound. My rule of thumb with copper put another in them if they get back up. I've seen many times on Tejon pigs drop then shake it off and get back up. I had one shot by a 300 ultra short mag at 40yds get back up after it sure as hell was doing the death kick. Had to use the truck to block it from going down hells canyon.....grabbed his leg and drugged him back for the 9 to the head!

I like the lead that leaves 33% in the animal and spray all the soft organ tissue then stops just under the hide on the opposite side.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 17
I took some Barnes with me on an elk hunt in Arizona 2 years ago and ended up getting 2 down, both quartering away shots into soft tissue. Not a fan of copper bullets but it was the only factory load I could find that would shoot consistently sub MOA through my ruger all American

Here we go again...

Not a big GMX fan but I have seen somewhere between 75-100 big game animals go down with Barnes bullets. All have gone down with devastating results. The animals shot were antelope, deer, pigs, elk, oryx, bear and coyote. This notion of needing to strike bone or a hard part of the animal with a Barnes is hogwash. A poor shot will reflect poor results with any bullet, and gelatin or media gel does not give the same results as being in the field with live animals.

We shot 3 elk last year with the highly touted Hornady ELD-X (great BC's). All 3 shooters were highly experienced. While it resulted in 3 dead elk, all three needed multiple shots to do the job. This has not been the case when using Barnes. Very, very few cases we have had to dispatch animals with more than one Barnes.

A few wound channels and a grip of recovered barnes. Good stuff...

Blah blah blah -

Attachments

• Z1.jpg
    Z1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • Z2.jpg
    Z2.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 23
  • z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
  • z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 22
Here we go again...

Not a big GMX fan but I have seen somewhere between 75-100 big game animals go down with Barnes bullets. All have gone down with devastating results. The animals shot were antelope, deer, pigs, elk, oryx, bear and coyote. This notion of needing to strike bone or a hard part of the animal with a Barnes is hogwash. A poor shot will reflect poor results with any bullet, and gelatin or media gel does not give the same results as being in the field with live animals.

We shot 3 elk last year with the highly touted Hornady ELD-X (great BC's). All 3 shooters were highly experienced. While it resulted in 3 dead elk, all three needed multiple shots to do the job. This has not been the case when using Barnes. Very, very few cases we have had to dispatch animals with more than one Barnes.

A few wound channels and a grip of recovered barnes. Good stuff...

Blah blah blah -
Aside from NBK's post from awhile back on the Monolithic Munitions 260 95gr stuff, can anyone else report on their field performance? I will be using it this year and am just curious?

...my single experience with all-copper, 168gr 308 winchester barnes tsx-bt, 265yd down angle shot hit shoulder blade and destroyed front quarter with bone fragments.
I used barnes because it tested best of all the copper I tried. I tried GMX also but barnes grouped best. Even so, the barnes grouping was 2-2.5x the grouping of my amax load.

Try the TSX 150 for the 308 my buddies groups are all touching but we reload.

But 2-2.5 is very respectable and I wouldn't sweat it unless you reload those TSX are very accurate much better than TTSX, gmx & e-tip

thanks MJB but that is reload ammo already. I did test the ttsx along with the gmx. Also the testing was done with multiple charge weights (OCW test). With the results I concluded that all copper bullets are not as accurate as copper/lead. YMMV
Although disappointed I still hunted with it knowing that my point of impact is much bigger than my target loads.

Interesting note: I just concluded a test of Cutting Edge bullets (225gr 338 all copper) and my 250gr Lapua OTM (copper/lead) beats it also. Also tested 300gr Nosler HPBT and that was slightly smaller grouping than the CE bullets.

Im no ballistician but thats just my limited personal experience.

thanks MJB but that is reload ammo already. I did test the ttsx along with the gmx. Also the testing was done with multiple charge weights (OCW test). With the results I concluded that all copper bullets are not as accurate as copper/lead. YMMV
Although disappointed I still hunted with it knowing that my point of impact is much bigger than my target loads.

Interesting note: I just concluded a test of Cutting Edge bullets (225gr 338 all copper) and my 250gr Lapua OTM (copper/lead) beats it also. Also tested 300gr Nosler HPBT and that was slightly smaller grouping than the CE bullets.

Im no ballistician but thats just my limited personal experience.

Besides charge weights are you playing with the seating depth ? My 338 and my 7mm are both factory rifles getting 1/2" groups with Barnes bullets.
IMG_2708.JPG IMG_2709.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu