Couple of pack questions

Kellendv

Dec 26, 2013
Hey guys, got a couple of questions regarding packs. I'm currently using one of my climbing packs for deer hunting, mostly because that hasn't been at the top of my list for gear purchases. But lately I've been looking into a new pack purchase because the traditional top loading, narrow pack for climbing isn't the best for this.

So, what I had wanted was an eberlestock J34 "just one" pack. I really like the rifle scabbard because I'm tired of slinging my rifle over my shoulder and constantly having to keep it in check to keep it from hitting rocks etc. I also really like the expansion option for meat hauling. The only thing that is off-putting to me is the weight. Coming from 2-4 pound climbing packs, 8 pounds is absurdly heavy.

Today only until 6 pm kuiu is offering 30% off their packs and pack accessories, so of course that got my attention. Was looking at the ultra, but lots of people seem to think the icons are much better. I don't like their rifle holstering solution as much as eberlestock, but I'd like to know what you guys think of it, if anyone has used it. They claim you can get your rifle off your pack with one hand without taking your pack off, but it seems impossible and of course they don't show you that in the rifle holder demo video.... The weights on the kuiu packs are much more reasonable to me. But the packs also kind of just look like a camo backpacking pack, so I'm wondering what features specifically make these packs more useful to you for hunting. The horseshoe zipper opening would make it easier to pack meat and gear. Anyone have any opinions about the ultra line vs the icon line? I don't need 50 pockets.

Thanks for your time!

Kellen

I don't have any experience with the eberlestock J34 but I did just buy an x1a2 and absolutely love it. Not sure about getting a rifle out with one hand but I can do it with two while the pack is on my back. Eberlestock makes high quality stuff.

Kuiu is the way to go.. This was my 2nd season with my icon pro. I've packed 10-15 bucks out with this pack. On one occasion 40 #'s of gear I used for a 3 night trip, plus half of a mature mule deer. You won't be disappointed with the pack.. I'm not a kuiu "fanboy" either I just stand behind their gear cause it's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaftHunter said:
Kuiu is the way to go.. This was my 2nd season with my icon pro. I've packed 10-15 bucks out with this pack. On one occasion 40 #'s of gear I used for a 3 night trip, plus half of a mature mule deer. You won't be disappointed with the pack.. I'm not a kuiu "fanboy" either I just stand behind their gear cause it's awesome!

The sale price was too good so I had to do it. Ordered an Icon Pro 3200 this afternoon.

Sorry was traveling yesterday so I missed this. I have two Eberlestock packs (H2 and an X1 that I bought used), and just got a Alps Outdoorz Traverse X to review. The Eberlestocks are all heavy for their volume but I do love the scabbard design.

Bonejour said:
Sorry was traveling yesterday so I missed this. I have two Eberlestock packs (H2 and an X1 that I bought used), and just got a Alps Outdoorz Traverse X to review. The Eberlestocks are all heavy for their volume but I do love the scabbard design.

No worries! If I don't like the kuiu I'll return it. Another friend just got an eberlestock so I can compare to his. Thanks for your input.

Kellendv said:
Bonejour said:

No worries! If I don't like the kuiu I'll return it. Another friend just got an eberlestock so I can compare to his. Thanks for your input.
I'm very interested to hear what you think when you get it.

Bonejour said:

please post your review on the alps pack ,ive been eyeballing it for my first hunting pack.

steveo007 said:
please post your review on the alps pack ,ive been eyeballing it for my first hunting pack.
Will do a full report as soon as I've put it through its paces. If you are in a hurry though, pm me and we can talk.
What are the things you are looking for in a hunting pack?

Bonejour said:
steveo007 said:
Will do a full report as soon as I've put it through its paces. If you are in a hurry though, pm me and we can talk.
What are the things you are looking for in a hunting pack?

the pack I'm using is from big5, I'm a tightwad,its a toploader which is not very good to get gear out of,it has only 2 small side pockets and one top pocket,oh yeh very heavy.
curious on the traverse does a tripod fit in the side pockets,also is the pack able to fit a sleeping bag,saw a cool video of a different pack where a hunter unpacked all the contents.
no hurry Don i'll wait for your review!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu