Coyote Den?

HuggyBear15

a complete n00b
Nov 28, 2015
Hi everyone,

I was scouting out a new area for potential future hunting of upland game, and stumbled upon what I think may have been an old coyote den. There were some old coyote droppings in the general area, but what caught my eye was a bunch of torn apart seed pods from what looked like wild cucumbers (even though I didn't see any wild cucumber in the area?) near a rocky outcrop. Here are a few of the photos I took.

(1) The outcrop/potential den entrance
(2) Inside, it looked like some plants had been strewn around the back wall. I know the photos aren't great for showing scale, but I felt like the area was large enough for one or two adult coyotes. I probably could have curled up inside the area myself, though it would have been a little tight.
(3) There were several more torn apart seed pods inside.
(4) I spotted one pod that wasn't open. Picture 4 shows it after I broke it open.

What do y'all think? Was this an old coyote den, or was my imagination/ignorance just getting the best of me?

edit: dang! I can't seem to get my photos in between the text, so I've just captioned them up above :-/

Attachments

• Den_Entrance.PNG
    Den_Entrance.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
  • Den_View_Inside.PNG
    Den_View_Inside.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
  • Den_View_2.PNG
    Den_View_2.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 138
  • Den_Seed_Pod.PNG
    Den_Seed_Pod.PNG
    862.6 KB · Views: 139
Cool find... looks like it has an entrance and exit from your pics. I would think it could be a good "chilln" spot. The terrain is differ from what I hunt but the dens I have come across only had an entrance and no exit that I could find. I once found a den dug into sand with a hole of about 10" diameter I sat on it for a few hours and saw a yote come out and take a peek, I left it alone after thinking the yote had pups and didn't want to kill mom and then starve pups if it had any. Anyways awesome find congrats, its always nice to be out exploring.

GSPman said:
Maybe it's a greenie hide? :). Hippie love den?

Looks really cool.
Cool find. GSP your comment reminds me of the other day. I was talking to this rancher at one of my spots where there's this shack on public land that he calls the honeymoon shack I ask him why he calls it that and he says anytime you see two Cowboys headed that way you know what there doing lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! I was really excited to find it.

That's awesome re: the shack haha. And I didn't see any granola or berkenstocks, but he may have been out grazing

You've got a good eye IV! There was a small exit. That's nice that you let the mama yote go; talk about a true hunter!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu