Coyote Hand Call Practice

CobPipeMan

Feb 5, 2015
So Ive got a few hand calls Ive yet to use in the field. i know I need practice and I have an idea how to practice but not sure if its a good one.

So nearby my house and my mother inlaws house there is a large coyote population. ive seen them walking around the greenbelt behind her condo in the middle of the day.

Obviously they cannot be hunted here, but could i call them in for practice?

Yes I do it all the time around my house. Just be safe you don't want a crazy hungry one coming up behind you They are not as dangerous as big cats but still not a nice thing to have want to get at you.

Also keep an eye out for crazy greenie coyote loving people you don't need a phone call to the local Leo's either.

Keep this in mind: your distress calls should sound something like a crying baby... definitely sounds terrible to the "uninformed". Wouldn't be surprised if someone calls the popo. Also, if it's a den of dogs that run the block, they're only going to respond to your howl calls most likely. The first time they come in on a predator call and realize you aren't dinner, they aren't going to trigger off that same call most likely. Go online and check out FoxPro's website (or anyone else who makes an e-call). You should be able to listen to sample sounds so you can pick out inflection, tones, sequences, etc. Practice any time you can. Dogs aren't as particular as we are... what sounds bad to us might be instinct inducing to a dog (example: an ambulance siren). When I got my first howler, I was BAD at it. Still gave it a shot and had a pack calling back to me.

Utilize YouTube there are tons of instructional videos on there. Keep in mind set up is just as important as calling. Coyotes are smart and very cautious.

Saw this one passing by the parking lot the other day, there were people walking around nearby and it disnt even care.

IMG_8279.jpeg

Lol... No hunting pressure turns those dogs ignorant towards fear of humans.

There's a den on the hill behind my office. I see them all the time around dusk, but they are always moving so can't use a bow....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu