Coyote hunt turned quail hunt!!

OCOutdoors

Oct 3, 2012
Decided to go out today with a couple buddies to try and call in some dogs, still bummed that I came home empty handed the other day. Today's coyote calling didn't turn out any better, it was really foggy in the morning(and we got a late start cause 1 buddy overslept). We get to our first stand but I was only able to glass one walking away @525yrds so we hit a few other places but came up with nothing. It was cool to find a couple of deer in this area as we have only seen them a few times over the years, a doe and a yearling. Two buddies were in one truck and another buddy and I were in my truck following behind, as we were driving down this one hillside I spot a dog walking the ridge to my driverside so we jump out but the dog started running so never got a shot. My buddies in the other truck kept driving and as we were catching up to them some quail flew out in front of us so we figured we'd switch gears to hunt them. Neither truck knew what the other was doing but it turns out as we got out to hunt the quail my other buddies spotted a coyote and were setting up to shoot it. Just as they were going to squeeze the trigger on the coyote my buddy and I started shooting at quail so the coyote ran off and never stopped, no shot was taken. They come walking over to us wondering what we were shooting at and told us about the coyote, what are the chances of that happening. :p We all grabbed our shotguns and just kept chasing quail for awhile. We never saw anymore coyotes but ended up with a limit of quail between the 4 of us. All in all it was a good time as I hadn't done much bird hunting in the last couple years but I'm in kind of a slump with the dogs, the last 2 times I came out empty handed.

Great report. It's always good when you can switch gears on the fly.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu