Coyote hunting with the new Tikka

Nicksurfs96

Nov 24, 2018
So I just got the tikka in a .223 to replace the Remington 783 in the .308 for Varmint Hunting. Today was my second hunt with it and I had a coyote dead to rights at 150 yards and I pulled the trigger and missed so here I am at south bay re sighting it in at 200 yards. To say the least I am bummed

Reactions: Moves
Did you clean it before you shot at the coyote......

Reactions: Nicksurfs96
Even when you do hit them. Even if the hit is strong enough to initially drop them... but the hit is not in vitals... they will get back up and run away in amazing fashion. It will blow your damn mind how damn tough they are!

My first hit on a yote (and so far the only one as yet), he did a full barrel roll in mid-air... and landed in a clump on the ground... rocking back and forth for a few seconds.... before he then....got back up and rose to his feet... turned to look at me... then bolted off!

I blood track that mofo at least....AT LEAST 250yds!!! UP the knoll, then down into a Ravine... had to take my pack off to crawl into/under some tree at the bottom of the ravine... saw a silver dollar sized pool of blood there too.... back out...looking around the tree... finally spot to tiny drops of blood there... they pointed up the other side of the ravine! Sure enough some blood sign indicating he went back out of the ravine as well. No dice. I even hung around and waited around watching to see if the Crows/Ravens might start circling somewhere, but nothing. I'm certain he died that night. Was my first and only non-recovery.

Last edited:
So I just got the tikka in a .223 to replace the Remington 783 in the .308 for Varmint Hunting. Today was my second hunt with it and I had a coyote dead to rights at 150 yards and I pulled the trigger and missed so here I am at south bay re sighting it in at 200 yards. To say the least I am bummed

I'm curious, where in the South Bay can you sight-in up to 200yds? I grew up in Carson and I can't think of anywhere there is a range like that. Where's it located at?

OH.. psssh... you're talking about I guess a "South Bay" in SD!! OK, I'm talking about the South Bay as it refers to that part of LA County from like El Segundo... all the way down to... about Wilmington, just before the LBC.

OH.. psssh... you're talking about I guess a "South Bay" in SD!! OK, I'm talking about the South Bay as it refers to that part of LA County from like El Segundo... all the way down to... about Wilmington, just before the LBC.
Ha.. well the names are misleading even to me here. South Bay SD to me implies National City down to the border and across to Chula Vista. Yet, that range is in Dulzura (way east). And we have the Lemon Grove Rod & Gun Club.. in Alpine. I'm guessing it has to do with the folks that started these clubs, someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ha.. well the names are misleading even to me here. South Bay SD to me implies National City down to the border and across to Chula Vista. Yet, that range is in Dulzura (way east). And we have the Lemon Grove Rod & Gun Club.. in Alpine. I'm guessing it has to do with the folks that started these clubs, someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes that is correct

ok since @Nicksurfs96 ran off.. for you newbie hunters. DO NOT CLEAN YOUR GUN BEFORE A HUNT. it will not shoot to the same place as when its dirty. Dirty is not a bad thing. Most hunters DO not need to clean their guns very often. Do not scrub the death out of your barrel. if it shoots good let it be :) and always have a fouled gun in your hand when hunting.

as far as coyotes running away after getting shot. make sure you are running a frangible bullet. Unless you are saving fur then pin holes are nice. Aim like you want to blow things up, shoulders make frangible bullets go nuts. The need to get a pocket shot like on a deer is just not there.

Yeah... on my first 'yote... that second shot opportunity was a very rapid opportunity. It was a Barnes TSX 62gr. I'm pretty sure what happened was... because of the barrel-roll I witnessed... that the bullet more than likely hit him just above his spine, right there where the phalanges on the vertebrae stick up their highest just below the shoulder joints. I figure that's why the energy was able to transfer hard enough to cause him to do a full rotation mid-air like that.

Since then I bought some DRT Penetrating frangibles, and also some LeHigh Controlled Chaos rounds. So I'll be better prepared next time.

I've fraged them in the pump house and had them run 50 yards. Unless you shatter a nerve they don't even know that they're dead for 30 seconds.

Reactions: TheGDog
There's even a vid on YouTube... where this kid calls one into his deer plot... shoots it with a .30-30... and then the damn thing starts EATING IT'S OWN GUTS!!

Goto about 3:30 in this vid!

There's even a vid on YouTube... where this kid calls one into his deer plot... shoots it with a .30-30... and then the damn thing starts EATING IT'S OWN GUTS!!

Goto about 3:30 in this vid!

i've witnessed gut eating yotes first hand... it's most likely the yote trying to bite ANYTHING near its jaws because of the pain/something is hurting me type of reaction. The follow up shot for me mattered, needed to end that yotes problem fast. I have the pics of aftermath but don't think it's proper to show online... only more propaganda for the antis.

With that .243... the pelt damage... would you say it's not that bad? (I'm sure ammo plays a big role in that, which ammo?)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu