Coyotes and Fox Pro question

Oct 23, 2015
Corona
I have a fox pro which I have not really used. I would like to hear others experience as to what's worked well for them with electronic callers. One thing more than what calls that I am really interested to hear is volume. How do you successful E-callers manipulate the volume? Start weak and work up or start strong etc? How long do you let me run do you start em out a short burst and then go longer etc. really interested in hearing about others techniques as I'm sure we can all benefit sharing info as well.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Down here in the IV I use a fox pro also and has worked pretty good for me. I usually get to a spot and set out the caller, wait a good 5 or so minutes before I start it and just settle into the area never hurts to do some listening, after that I start at low volume and move up volume as time passes (20-30 minute stands if stand is not busted by someone) . Been a few times that yotes will come in the first 5 minutes of calling, sometimes feels like they were watching me as I set up caller and didn't even care, I'm sure they was just laying down and didn't hear me walk in. This past year has been slow for me as it seems that more people are calling for yotes now maybe even training them a bit to much and not getting the kill shot on them. Good Luck .. oh yeah make sure you have a decoy set out, keeps the yote on a target and not you.

ivhunter said:
Down here in the IV I use a fox pro also and has worked pretty good for me. I usually get to a spot and set out the caller, wait a good 5 or so minutes before I start it and just settle into the area never hurts to do some listening, after that I start at low volume and move up volume as time passes (20-30 minute stands if stand is not busted by someone) . Been a few times that yotes will come in the first 5 minutes of calling, sometimes feels like they were watching me as I set up caller and didn't even care, I'm sure they was just laying down and didn't hear me walk in. This past year has been slow for me as it seems that more people are calling for yotes now maybe even training them a bit to much and not getting the kill shot on them. Good Luck .. oh yeah make sure you have a decoy set out, keeps the yote on a target and not you.
Great first response. Thank you IVHunter

Start off low and slowly work the volume up. I never use full volume. I try to sit on stand for 30 minutes or more. I like lightning jack, dsg cottontail, bay bee cottontail, lucky bird, kittens distress, puppies distress 2, and coyote distress 3. Those are the main ones I use, probably called in a few hundred dogs with the sounds... As Ivhunter mentioned, there is a lot more pressure on the yotes lately. I use to call in a coyote just about every time I went out for a morning of calling.

There has been a lot of pressure on coyotes lately. Almost everyone has an electronic call nowadays, so most of the coyotes have heard most of the "normal" sounds. Try to go somewhere that is as far off the beaten path as you can. Get away from the usual calling areas that are more accessible to hunters. The further out in the boonies you can get, the better you should do. First of all, be as quiet as you can when driving into an area and getting to your stand. Stay as much out of sight as possible. Once you get set up, just sit and wait for 5 to 10 minutes before you start calling. My "standard" progression is to start out with a "soft" call (like Bay Bee Cottontail or crying kittens) at a low volume. After 4-5 minutes, I bump it up to a medium volume for another few minutes. Then I shut the call off for about a minute and go to a "medium" sound (like an adult cottontail) at a medium-low sound level. After 3-5 minutes, I bump the volume up to medium or even medium-high, depending on the terrain (if the area is really open, I call a bit louder). The next one I usually go to is the adult jackrabbit at a medium volume and then to Lightning Jack at medium to medium-loud. If nothing has come in at that point I switch to an "unusual" sound, like Lucky Bird or a Raspy Woodpecker or a raccoon fight. My last call is a coyote pup distress at full volume. Stay at your stand for at least 20 minutes, longer if you think you are in a prime location, even up to 45 minutes to an hour. If you get a shot, switch immediately to coyote pup distress at full volume. If your call has the FOXBANG technology, set it up to switch automatically. Hope this helps. Good luck.

TaftHunter said:
Start off low and slowly work the volume up. I never use full volume. I try to sit on stand for 30 minutes or more. I like lightning jack, dsg cottontail, bay bee cottontail, lucky bird, kittens distress, puppies distress 2, and coyote distress 3. Those are the main ones I use, probably called in a few hundred dogs with the sounds... As Ivhunter mentioned, there is a lot more pressure on the yotes lately. I use to call in a coyote just about every time I went out for a morning of calling.

+1. Some of the higher priced Foxpros have higher volume and greater variety, but you don't need the volume if you're in a good spot because their hearing and mobility is so good, they'll find you in a few minutes. I learned from MJB to add visual and scent (leftovers from your freezer). Entice their senses of sight and smell, if you can, in your setup. I'm no expert; I'm just offering some things to consider.

White Smoke said:
There has been a lot of pressure on coyotes lately. Almost everyone has an electronic call nowadays, so most of the coyotes have heard most of the "normal" sounds. Try to go somewhere that is as far off the beaten path as you can. Get away from the usual calling areas that are more accessible to hunters. The further out in the boonies you can get, the better you should do. First of all, be as quiet as you can when driving into an area and getting to your stand. Stay as much out of sight as possible. Once you get set up, just sit and wait for 5 to 10 minutes before you start calling. My "standard" progression is to start out with a "soft" call (like Bay Bee Cottontail or crying kittens) at a low volume. After 4-5 minutes, I bump it up to a medium volume for another few minutes. Then I shut the call off for about a minute and go to a "medium" sound (like an adult cottontail) at a medium-low sound level. After 3-5 minutes, I bump the volume up to medium or even medium-high, depending on the terrain (if the area is really open, I call a bit louder). The next one I usually go to is the adult jackrabbit at a medium volume and then to Lightning Jack at medium to medium-loud. If nothing has come in at that point I switch to an "unusual" sound, like Lucky Bird or a Raspy Woodpecker or a raccoon fight. My last call is a coyote pup distress at full volume. Stay at your stand for at least 20 minutes, longer if you think you are in a prime location, even up to 45 minutes to an hour. If you get a shot, switch immediately to coyote pup distress at full volume. If your call has the FOXBANG technology, set it up to switch automatically. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Way beyond what I asked. Excellent detail and thank you for taking that time to write this up.

All great advice and I'm sure more than just I will benefit from this.

Why don't you hook up with a club near you? It's a great way to meet other callers and get out in the field.

http://sportbar-favorit.ru/chapters.html

Lots of good advice given in this thread so far. When I first started using my FOXPRO I would start off at low volume and call intermittently for about 20 min while gradualy increasing the volume and had success doing it that way. I have had coyotes come in anywhere from the 1 min mark to the 35 plus min mark. The more I read and learned about the sport it seemed that a lot of the guys that were putting up big numbers of coyotes with the e caller had something in common. They were calling continuously and starting out soft and after a couple minutes switching to full volume and staying about 20 minutes on stand. The theory behind that is that you start out softer so that you don't startle anything in the immediate area with too much volume. Then you run the caller continuously at full volume because if you run it intermittently at a lower volume during the entire stand a coyote could come in and out of ear shot while the caller is paused or not playing loud enough. Also if you make three 20 min stands vs one 60 min stand you are calling more country and hopefully playing your sounds for more coyotes to hear as well. I absolutely agree that there are a ton of people out there using e callers on coyotes right now. Rabbit and bird distress works well but keep in mind that's what most people are going to use as thier go to sounds. Try thinking outside the box with sounds like kitten, deer, pig distress etc.. I also agree that playing coyote pup distress at full volume at the end of every stand is a good idea. I have played rabbit, bird distress etc.. for half an hour and had no coyotes respond and then as soon as I switched to pup distress they came flying in. This time of year is when you want to start mixing it up with coyote vocalizations as coyotes will be pairing up soon if they are not already. With all of that being said there is no set rule to this sport the most important thing is to keep getting out there and expirmenting until you find a style that works.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu