Coyotes in Cleveland National Forest

MrDenton

Jan 17, 2015
I live near Bedford Canyon. If you're familiar with South Corona, its west of Dos Lagos.
Anyone do any coyote hunting out here? I'm looking at going out and scouting. Bought a Mossberg mvp varmint
.223, now I just need the time.
What calls work best, I'll be alone so I'm thinking about a remote electronic call and decoy.
Any suggestions?

Oath Keeper

Go do it. Can't kill one at home. I like rabbit sounds. Lookin for Manzanita Berry distress sounds but can't find any

Reactions: Moves
There doesn't appear to be any hunting pressure at all. I know morning and evenings are the best time, but I work nights, do you think I'd be waiting my time hunting late mornings?

Oath Keeper

ive hunted the cleveland before and ive seen many many yotes and not many hunters. lots of homes near by for them to eat trash and cats from. I used rabbit calls and it worked well. If you need or want a hutning partner im available.

Good to know GPS. And thanks for the offer. I'll let you know. Are you local in the area? I'm about a mile from Bedford and 1/2 mile from Browns Wash

Oath Keeper

You read my mind about Cleveland. Been reading about lots of issues with coyotes in that area. Let me know if you want some one to join you.

Ok. It'll be my first time coyote hunting. Might be good to get some pointers. From what I can see from my house, the brush is tall and thick. From what I understand, those hills haven't burned in over a century. I've been there 17 years, coyotes have always been a problem in the neighborhood at night. Just recently we had one in our backyard drinking from the pool! That's when I decided enough is enough. Bought a rifle specifically for killing predators, been practicing every Monday. Sub MOA @ 200yrds.
I just don't have all the camouflage stuff yet. Is it a must? Still need to get a call/decoy too.

Oath Keeper

Ive never used a decoy but ive always wanted to get a MOJO critter. as for camo ive hunted them with and with out. get some type break up and a vail or face mask and dont move. work the wind. Wind in your face sun at your back if possible and dont small bad or of heavy soaps on conditioner or anythign like that. and for gosh sake pee before you get there. they will smell it for a long way. all the normal stuff, hide the truck dont slam doors not set the alarm on the truck with a beep......

Reactions: Moves
Just go and hunt, don't worry if you don't have a ton of camo. I kill more yotes wearing shorts than I do in full camo.....

The area you are talking about is not as easy as you think. Them critters up there are smart.

Stay in the shadows as best you can go to toys r us their are lots of toys that work for a decoy and are cheap. Learn the lip squeak & some dog toys that squeak will work too

The yotes I've seen lately are hot on the females.......we had 4 males chasing 1 female two weekends ago none lived

Aeon said:
Just go and hunt, don't worry if you don't have a ton of camo. I kill more yotes wearing shorts than I do in full camo.....

The area you are talking about is not as easy as you think. Them critters up there are smart.

X2

The brush is thick up there. The trick is getting them out in the open for a shot.

Possibly taking a hike up there tomorrow. I'll see where the trail leads. According to Google earth there's a meadow not too far out.

Oath Keeper

My 2 cents since you're in Riverside County. You can't hunt with a rifle within 1 mile of an incorporated city and night hunting is out of the question. Just cover your butt and print out a copy of the county regs, have a map showing you're over a mile off in the Nat Forest, and go smash some dogs! I'm in RivCo too and I've had more dogs come in on my Coyote Decoy than my Distress Decoy (both together works best from what I've seen). Depends on the time of year and the weather. No pressure = great success. Limit your movement when you're making a stand. Slow is the way to go. Good luck.

What's considered an incorporated city? Where I'm at i unincorporated riverside county. The blue dot is my house. c8fd335f97dbf2aa149be3cef69c5219.jpg

Oath Keeper

Attachments

• c8fd335f97dbf2aa149be3cef69c5219.jpg
    c8fd335f97dbf2aa149be3cef69c5219.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 6

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu