Current Projects

SoCalRebelHunter

Sworn to hunt, Loyal to none
Jan 22, 2012
East El Cajon
So, as if I don't have enough going on with home projects, I've got a few amateur "taxidermy" projects going as well.

I've had a colony of beetles for quite a while now. A few months ago, they were finally capable of tackling larger skulls, so I started with a javelina. I've also got my buddy's first buck skull in there now and it's close to being done as well. The javelina is in the whitening process now, but after two days is already quite white. It's been a few years since I've done euro skulls, so the javelina was a nice refresher course before I get into whitening the buck.

The buck rack with the metal skull is one that my grandpa shot back in the 50s. It was his biggest buck and since he's longer here, I figured it was time for me to rejuvenate it and move it from the garage to the house. The rack is REALLY bleached thanks to years as a towel hanger for my uncles pool. Chlorine has not been nice to it, so I bought the stuff to re-stain it. Potassium Permanganate is what all the pros use. Comes in powder form and when mixed with water, turns bright purple; dries and turns brown. It's really easy to get the exact color you want because each coat darkens only by a shade or two. Makes it easy to get the exact color you want.

The shed in the picture was my test bone for the potassium. Figured I better find out exactly how many coats it takes to get it where I want it before I started on grandpa's rack.

Anyways, just thought I'd share.

Attachments

• IMG_20130521_171224.jpg
    IMG_20130521_171224.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20130521_174239.jpg
    IMG_20130521_174239.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20130521_180220.jpg
    IMG_20130521_180220.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
Breacher said:
That javelina skull looks like a pro did it. Very nice!

It's been a few years since I've done any Euro mounts but it seems like I'm back in the groove. I had a couple snafu's with getting my latest colony established but seems like those days are over. Heat, mites, and mold fought me hard during the colder, wetter months but all is solved now.

I've got another bobcat skull of mine that is coming up and a nice boar skull a friend shot up north. Keep you posted!

Great work man. Will you do this for other people?

Sounds good message me a price. I will have a hog skull in July. :)

Done! Message me your number and I will call you when I head back out

Here's the buck skull I just finished. Turned out good. Buddy loves it. Onto a trophy javelina skull next.

Attachments

• IMG_20130527_115803.JPG
    IMG_20130527_115803.JPG
    358.4 KB · Views: 10
SoCalGuidedHunts said:
That's so sweet! Can't wait to have mine done :)

I've got my buddy's coyote skull in there now and then a hog skull scheduled after that. Then I need a coyote skull of my own to add to the collection...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu