D-16 success and a question

Jim

Dec 1, 2012
I filled my D-16 tag yesterday. He's not a monster but he'll be meat in the freezer. The morning was getting late and I was starting the hike back to my truck. All of a sudden this guy runs out 140 yards in front of me and stops....bad move for him.
Now my question. I'm getting a little older and dragging a deer isn't as easy as it used to be. I plan on getting a pack and boning hem out in the field. What do you have to keep to prove sex of the deer? The area I usually hunt is downhill from where I park. Any packs that are better then others?

Jim

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383417046352.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383417046352.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 258
  • uploadfromtaptalk1383417083500.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383417083500.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 262
You have to keep the balls of the deer now. And I have an eblerstock x2. And i can pack about 3/4 of deer but usually i have a partner with me. My cousin has a kuiu and can pack the whole deer with it.

You legally need to keep the head for 30 days after the last hunting season.

If you want to take the deer out whole, I would suggest what I did last year. I bought a baby jogger for $10, ripped out the seat, tacked in canvas, as a hammock.
I pull the wheels off and fold it up, and keep it in my truck bed.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    809.6 KB · Views: 36
Jim said:
I filled my D-16 tag yesterday. He's not a monster but he'll be meat in the freezer. The morning was getting late and I was starting the hike back to my truck. All of a sudden this guy runs out 140 yards in front of me and stops....bad move for him.
Now my question. I'm getting a little older and dragging a deer isn't as easy as it used to be. I plan on getting a pack and boning hem out in the field. What do you have to keep to prove sex of the deer? The area I usually hunt is downhill from where I park. Any packs that are better then others?

Jim

congrats D-16 deer are tough to come by. a job well done.

LoL @ taft - your new name is the testicle hunter

Here is the code §708.7. Deer Head Retention Requirements and Production Upon Demand.
Any person taking any deer in this state shall retain in their possession during the open season thereon and for 15 days thereafter, that portion of the head which in adult males normally bears the antlers, and shall produce the designated portion of the head upon the demand of any officer authorized to enforce the provisions of this regulation (refer to Fish and Game Code, Section 4302).
Added 7/8/11.

Too funny! Saw on Meateaters that Steve Guy cooked up some mule deer cajones and was so excited to eat them! Good eats? Never had the RM Oysters.

Thanks guys. So it sounds like all I really need to pack out, besides the meat, is the head.
Now I just need to look into a good pack. I still have my A-21 tag. Maybe I'll finally get my first archery buck this year.

Well last year we packed a buck out and tried to get it validated but our local fire station said starting last year you had to have the nuts, so we had to have a warden sign it. Maybe the dude was just regarded, I don't know. Hahah

I'm just busting your nuts Taft :) ha no pun intended.

The score don't lie and you got more balls in the fridge then most in here

Nice score! Gotta love it when they just jump out in front of you!!! Mine did the same thing !

Hack and haul is the only way no draging unless I can see the truck and it's down hill. Plus you only need to trim the meat and it's ready for the freezer.

Get a Havalon knife with case and a 100 blades you'll be set for 10+ years. Light weight & always sharp
I use a Mystery Ranch pack it will do everything and goes from big to small plus it has a great daypack. It's all you will ever need and very comfortable which for me is a must when you have an elk down 3 miles from the nearest road and no packer. I just wish it had internal pockets with in the pockets like most of your hunting packs do. The reasons for me recommending this pack would be flexibility, comfort & the day pack. Only down side is the cost and lack of internal pockets.

Jim, nice buck. I'm in the same boat as you about boning out in the field. After dragging my deer out today I'm going to look into getting a nice pack to haul it out next time.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Nice buck. congrats.
Has anyone used the Kelty Cache Hauler pack? I have have always hiked with a kelty external frame pack. All the frames are rugged and pretty light weight. The cache hauler is designed for carrying game. It comes as a frame, with or without the removable pack. At the bottom of the frame is a ledge that folds down like the legs of a cot, to support the weight of the cache.
Does anyone have experience with it?

Dano, I need to do some more research. This will definitely be something different. I don't know if you would actually bone the whole thing, or if you just break it down into quarters. So do you guys skin the whole animal in the field?

Here's what I do. Do not gut the deer. l lay the deer on its belly with its back straight up in the air. Cut from between the antlers all the way to the tail. Cut the hide away from the body and the neck on one side. Then I take the back strap's first then the tenderloins. The hind quarter cut the muscle off the pelvic then cut down the femur to the knee and filet the meat off the femur. On the front shoulders I filet the meat off the bone then cut all the meat off the neck. Roll it on its side and do it all over again.
I can fit a de boned deer into my Blacks Creek 2000 inch backpack. But it's much better if you have a buddy there and you can split the load

Or you can lay it on its side and take the hide off at the legs and work it over the backbone. Now you have the hide to lay the meat you have deboned/quartered on then roll the hide up to the backbone and flip the deer over and work the hide off towards the legs. Now you have even more room to lay meat on the hide. It's the same things as above but it can give you more work area to lay cut meat on before you put it in a bag to haul out.

I do it just like LP but either way will work.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu