D-16 success and a question

Hi all. I am new to this forum as well as to San Diego. I am newbie when it comes to hunting, but absolutely love it. I just moved out from AZ were I have hunted Coues deer's for the past 3 years. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some good areas to scout/hunt in D16. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys

Oh man....I need to save this! Thanks guys. This helps a ton!!!

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk

Well lungpopper, if u ever need help with loading out let me know, ill be there in a jiffy. ;) lol

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Jim,
Great job.
I am a newer hunter, still waiting to take my first deer. I've been hunting for about 3 years now. I have a G-13 Doe tag, and so far I am having trouble finding any deer. Lots of sign but no actual deer. Was scouting for a couple of weeks before the opener, and saw a lot of sign, so my buddy and I went in very early opening morning, and set up in McCain Valley. Other than seeing other hunters we saw nothing. Yesterday the same thing. Went to Love Valley for the evening hunt, again didn't see anything but other hunters.

If anyone out there can help out with an area, I really want to fill my tag. I only have 2 more weeks to make this happen. Thank you.

Rerson said:
Jim,
Great job.
I am a newer hunter, still waiting to take my first deer. I've been hunting for about 3 years now. I have a G-13 Doe tag, and so far I am having trouble finding any deer. Lots of sign but no actual deer. Was scouting for a couple of weeks before the opener, and saw a lot of sign, so my buddy and I went in very early opening morning, and set up in McCain Valley. Other than seeing other hunters we saw nothing. Yesterday the same thing. Went to Love Valley for the evening hunt, again didn't see anything but other hunters.

If anyone out there can help out with an area, I really want to fill my tag. I only have 2 more weeks to make this happen. Thank you.

Have you tried a mid week hunt?

Sounds like you started off right. Mcain is a good place for deer. You need to stick with it. Get as high as you can and glass glass glass and you'll find them.
It's really hard to go to an area one hunt and see deer. Takes a lot of time in the same area to learn the patterns of the deer you are hunting. If you stick to the same area you will not just see deer but learn there patterns. Making future hunts more successful.

Lungpopper said:
Sounds like you started off right. Mcain is a good place for deer. You need to stick with it. Get as high as you can and glass glass glass and you'll find them.
It's really hard to go to an area one hunt and see deer. Takes a lot of time in the same area to learn the patterns of the deer you are hunting. If you stick to the same area you will not just see deer but learn there patterns. Making future hunts more successful.
I hit the like button. great comment.
to add the weather is not cooperating. deer become nocturnal during hot weather + full moon, + hunting pressure.
lung poppers suggestion are great. walk high near the crest of the mountains. go far back as possible away from all the other hunters.
keep the wind to your face. do you do scent control? it helps. camo also helps. it's half luck & half experience.

There is a TON of good advice here. Good job, guys! By the way, there are videos on YouTube on how to do the gutless debone. So for those of you who need a demonstration, check it out. Dragging a deer is the worst.

Lungpopper said:
Here's what I do. Do not gut the deer. l lay the deer on its belly with its back straight up in the air. Cut from between the antlers all the way to the tail. Cut the hide away from the body and the neck on one side. Then I take the back strap's first then the tenderloins. The hind quarter cut the muscle off the pelvic then cut down the femur to the knee and filet the meat off the femur. On the front shoulders I filet the meat off the bone then cut all the meat off the neck. Roll it on its side and do it all over again.
I can fit a de boned deer into my Blacks Creek 2000 inch backpack. But it's much better if you have a buddy there and you can split the load

I should have smoked that deer with you so you could have showed me

El Matavenados said:
There is a TON of good advice here. Good job, guys! By the way, there are videos on YouTube on how to do the gutless debone. So for those of you who need a demonstration, check it out. Dragging a deer is the worst.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will watch it , you can teach an old dog new tricks. I hit the like button.

El Matavenados said:

Didn't think of that.
As soon as I finish up grinding venison I'm heading to YouTube!!!

Lungpopper said:
Here's what I do. Do not gut the deer. l lay the deer on its belly with its back straight up in the air. Cut from between the antlers all the way to the tail. Cut the hide away from the body and the neck on one side. Then I take the back strap's first then the tenderloins. The hind quarter cut the muscle off the pelvic then cut down the femur to the knee and filet the meat off the femur. On the front shoulders I filet the meat off the bone then cut all the meat off the neck. Roll it on its side and do it all over again.
I can fit a de boned deer into my Blacks Creek 2000 inch backpack. But it's much better if you have a buddy there and you can split the load

Is there any obtainable meat on the ribs or flank?

I always keep the ribs.
They're really good smoked with hickory...or probably any other wood for that fact.
There's not a lot of meat on them but it still tastes great.

msteiger said:
Lungpopper said:

Is there any obtainable meat on the ribs or flank?

I use it all, make stews, or soups, baked , fried or smoked barbecue. I do not waste any of it. except for the innards & the brains. LOL

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu