D11 "gray" areas

entropy

Oct 8, 2018
So I got OnX maps and noticed some areas were I've seen plenty of deer are part of the angeles national forest, but quite close to city limits. Can I hunt these areas? I would expect not rifle. Archery perhaps? how can I find that info? Also some of the land is owned by the city and there is a clear sign at the start of a hiking trail that says NO HUNTING, so to me that means that the part owned by the city is a clear no, but what about the angeles national forest part? which a large section of the trail is actually part of.

Here's an example:

Can I bowhunt on the red circle???? How can I figure that out? green is angeles natl forest, yellowsih green is city of monrovia. I know the area is no firearms. Also I would need to hike the yellow area with my bow to get there, is that legal?.This is NOT the area where I saw deer, just an example. So don't bother going there lol.
huntexample.png

Last edited:
Yellow area is no go, green is good
Even the red circle. Stay away from buildings 150 yards

Well that's good news that means I got a place to hunt right next to my house. I would have never guessed. Gonna get an AO tag. Best thing, I've seen bucks in said area almost everytime I go hike.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Well that's good news that means I got a place to hunt right next to my house. I would have never guessed. Gonna get an AO tag. Best thing, I've seen bucks in said area almost everytime I go hike.
The bad news is that you just posted a picture of the spot on the interweb.

D11 is no honeyhole, lots of people hunt it, but do your best to keep your specific spots somewhat secret.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ilovesprig
The bad news is that you just posted a picture of the spot on the interweb.

D11 is no honeyhole, lots of people hunt it, but do your best to keep your specific spots somewhat secret.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah they can go there. Theyll find nothing lol. That is not the real spot, Ive never been there.

Get after it, and turn your tracker on while you walk in and out so u can show the warden where you have been when he or she accuses you of hunting in city boundary’s....

Reactions: TRICER
So I have to walk through the yellow area to get to the national forest. Can I carry my bow strapped to my backpack while I am getting to the national forest? how do I get my bow to the national forest?

It's a No go, fail. If it's land locked.
LA police arrested a guy for just passing thru city limits hunting rifles in his car.

Go around if you can. even if it's a longer route.
I have good spots that are now land locked. Can't get there. No trespassing signs. No go.
All that has to happen is someone calling the man. Your done.
2cents

It's a No go, fail. If it's land locked.
LA police arrested a guy for just passing thru city limits hunting rifles in his car.

Go around if you can. even if it's a longer route.
I have good spots that are now land locked. Can't get there. No trespassing signs. No go.
All that has to happen is someone calling the man. Your done.
2cents

So the yellow area is technically public land, but owned by the city, and NO HUNTING allowed (clearly). Which means I can't walk in that area with my bow, even if it is strapped to my backpack. Correct? No firearm, just compound bow.

Yes, but depends on the signs.
No hunting, means no weapons.
No trespassing means no going on that property. The city should have a web site. Google it to confirm our discussion. Always check the regs.
Don't go by hear say.
No weapons no Hunting

Last edited:
Reactions: entropy
As long as it’s not a state park, I shoot my bow inside city limits all the time at open fields and lots.

Well technically then hunting would be illegal, la county is a large area and there’s a difference between la county and la city limits. If your 100% sure it’s illegal then why you asking questions on the legality of crossing city property with your bow exposed??? If your that concerned put your bow in a locked bow case and walk with it strapped to your back.

Well technically then hunting would be illegal, la county is a large area and there’s a difference between la county and la city limits. If your 100% sure it’s illegal then why you asking questions on the legality of crossing city property with your bow exposed??? If your that concerned put your bow in a locked bow case and walk with it strapped to your back.

Target shooting (bow n arrow) is illegal within city limits that I know. And I read that shooting your bow (target) in the national forest where hunting is allowed, is also illegal. Just like target shooting with firearms in hunting zones in the entirety of Angeles national forest is illegal.... Doesn't make much sense, and you could always argue you were hunting but you'll be lying. Hunting and target shooting are not the same thing.

My question arises because there are a lot of places in angeles national forest where firearms are not allowed, only bowhunting. But most of the access trails to the forest are public land owned by the city, with NO HUNTING signs. This is a small area, parking lot and beginning of trail. To me it seems as if they just wanted to landlock the rest of the forest. I was just wondering if there was a legal way to hike with the bow in the beginning of the trail before reaching the nat. forest. I am going to call and see if the locked container is an option. Also what qualifies as a lock container? just trying to navigate through this jungle of regulations. And to me, finding a place that's like this and finding a way to enter it legally would be prime. Most hunters will see the sign and turn back.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Yeppers LA is hard core Anti gun anything. Bow may be more relaxed.
That's the reason I switched to bow hunting . Just taking a rifle to hunt felt I was treated as RW terrorist.

Just learn the regulations like the back of your hand. A locked up
Bow may well be allowed.
It's ashame we have go through this.
The problem I forsee if you do score.
Walking through city property with it. These days it's your guilty until proven innocent.
Tread carefully my freind

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu