D11 Quail

No one is going to rent you a dog. After years of hunting without one I bit the bullet. He is now my best friend and hunting companion. I would sooner rent a child. He has taught me more about birds than any book. You have to pay your dues to be successful.

Reactions: issue_1
If you can find a ravine... especially a rocky part of that Ravine that you can sit across from on the other side of the ravine.... in an area where above those rocks there are the various trees and bushes that dump out the kinda seeds they seem to like... once that ravine falls into shadow in the PM... they and the Ground Squirrels will meander around in that rocky area at the spots where the fallen seeds will gather.

Deer do that too! On dirt roads that don't get hardly any traffic... they'll walk along to all the Scrub Oaks that conveniently dump their acorns right there on the road for easy pickin's. Especially if it's a tight turn in the road and the road is up against a very steep wall... that slope acts like a collector/concentrator when all the acorns and pine-cones fall off. It funnels them all down into a tight collected spot where they don't have to do much searching around.

No one is going to rent you a dog. After years of hunting without one I bit the bullet. He is now my best friend and hunting companion. I would sooner rent a child. He has taught me more about birds than any book. You have to pay your dues to be successful.
just making a bad joke these quail had me running in circles and then vanishing - looking forward to one day getting a dog as good a companion as you describe.

thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge.
lots of great things learned that would undoubtably taken me years to discover.
went out on wed to Angeles and today at a diff spot for skunk on both - no birds seen or heard. in hindsight I should have drove back up to kern. today was rather windy but found sheltered canyons for squat. damn check engine light came on on the way home and Looks like today will be windy again. Didn't accomplish my goal of getting a bird this season but got real close and I'll be ready for next.
Got to work the legs and pick up some trash on the way out including a few Mylar balloons. Seem to be noticing them more as I get out. really enjoying going out and walking around in the wilderness.

small cat - maybe bobcat seems very small ?
Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 12.57.13 AM.png
found its mama - looks like a lion?
Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 12.57.22 AM.png

Ugh.. the Mylar balloons! Man.. you will find those things.. soooooooooooo... far far far back in there!! And I mean like riDONKulously far and back up in there! That is one thing I would be OK with them banning them. They don't serve any kind of truly important purpose... people have gotten by without 'em for how long? Right? And I know from a gentleman I know who works for SCE how much of a pain in their side they are since Mylar conducts electricity. 'Tards let'em go... the float up and get caught in powerlines...ZAP!... bye-bye transformer.

Reactions: Norm555 and issue_1
Is there some sort of survival use for those stupid things? They are the one item that can be found literally anywhere.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu