D13 hunters willing to take a newb?

ASchottky

Jan 28, 2020
Hello,
I am totally new to hunting but have this dream of getting a deer to prepare wonderful meals (I am a passionate home chef) and I have no idea where to start?
I got the hunter safety class and even own a rifle but have no idea if it is the right rifle, if D13 is the right zone, if it is too late (or too early) to get a tag for 2020... So many questions.
Anybody out there that would like to connect and teach me the ropes?

I am 50 years old, originally from Germany. I live in Ojai with my wife and son (3 months old!)

This is where you start:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=166534&inline

Read all of it. The zones are all there, the maps or links to the maps are also there. There is also a lot of information online about hunting deer in southern Ca.

You have a riffle, now you need a license if you want to hunt Deer, you also need a Deer tag for the zone you want to hunt in. You have to enter that information online when the Draw begins you might or might not get the tag it depends on how many are available for the zone you want to hunt. In some zones, it is easy in others difficult.

Then you go out in the late spring or summer to become familiar with the areas you want to hunt and with a good pair of Binos you look for Deer or deer signs. There is information on the pdf as to where hunters have found Deer in the past. If you are not comfortable going alone invite a friend, tell him you want to go for a long "Hike"..:) Or invite others to go Scouting with you to an area you think might be worthwhile going.

People do not invite others they don't know to hunt Deer. That's is not how it works, It is a lot of work to find them and even harder to get one....the question is how bad do you want it? People spend YEARS trying to get one in our area.

So if you don't want to do the work yourself you can always hire a guide to take you out for a lot of money.

I hope that helps. But I think now you know where to start.

Good luck.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Thank you very much for your detailed info! I was already aware of that PDF and have been digesting it, great info! I will start to go out there while waiting for the season to get to know the area. I have been hiking a lot around Ojai but have not ventured much into D13 yet. Looking forward to figure it all out! Thanks again

Start looking at maps and invest in OnX.. learn where's legal public (Nat'l Forest, BLM, CDFW areas) then get some boots on the ground to scout. Maybe you'll meet someone who'll want to scout with you and share intel. Most likely you won't, but the best hunting spots are found by yourself and shared with no one. Hike hard, glass harder.

What rifle do you have?
I have a 30.06 - it is a Woodsmaster 740 but before I start shooting at things I will get a nice bino and go scouting until season starts to get to know the land. I installed OnX and that seems to be an amazing resource.

Boot wear and gasoline. That's how you find deer. look at all the maps you want. Won't find deer.

Hi Aschottky , welcome , you need to go at the spring turkey tune up in ramona.. meet & greet other hunters. people need to meet you in person.
have coffee and meet and greet. and on .
are you trained in firearms safety?
do you practice target shooting?
have you taken a hunter safety course?

I would start with small game hunting , go out and scout , and learn the territory. terrain, pick up a shotgun , and must use Non Lead Ammo....
look for national forest & BLM land , use onxhunt, learn to use it. tells you were to go, like said before memorize the Calif. State Dept. of fish and wildlife regulations.
dont make a mistake or Mr Green Jeans will give a Ticket or more. ask lots of questions.
Practice Firearms Safety in your sleep so it becomes second nature.

Now for the info, sear this site, there has been a wealth of info, posted over and over. in doubt about any thing reseach it yourself then ask.

This book helped me tremendously.. Hunting Open-Country Mule Deer by Dwight Schuh. Get out in the field and look for deer sign. Best of luck and enjoy the journey/process in finding your quarry. Can’t emphasize it enough, get out there. OnX is great resource..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu