D14

3006Daddy

Aug 10, 2012
So I have been going up on the weekends to D14 and have not seems deer. I have run across deer scat and bear scat. Last week I found a place just covered with thorns and thicket. I noticed Nat flies hovering over some areas and not others. It looked like good bedding area. I also noticed the nats kind of followed me around so I figured something was in the thicket. I went back again this past weekend and found one pretty good size track track on this flat patch of mossy mud which I had checked the prior week and was undisturbed. This is my first year hunting and would like some advice as far as how to approach the area. I have been up yo about 7200 ft but it seems to be more sign near 6400. Thanks for any advice. I am rifle hunting.

Attachments

• 2012-10-21 11.36.03.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 2012-10-21 10.56.00.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 129
I do have a bear tag. Matter of fact there is a bear there that I think is enjoying staying ahead of me. Seems like he likes to travel washes and hides in the thicket. Last week I lost track of him only to have two hunters tell me I got too high and was about 50 yards below me. They were glassing from across the valley and away out little cat and mouse game.

Attachments

• 2012-10-21 14.04.50.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 119
3006Daddy said:
I do have a bear tag. Matter of fact there is a bear there that I think is enjoying staying ahead of me. Seems like he likes to travel washes and hides in the thicket. Last week I lost track of him only to have two hunters tell me I got too high and was about 50 yards below me. They were glassing from across the valley and away out little cat and mouse game.

Seems to me like you know where he is..... ;D Looking forward to you posting pictures of the brute once you get him on the ground...

Thanks guys. It is exciting figuring things out! Hopefully I will have better news in the near future!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu