D15 zone

HaHA! Trap, I just noticed and had a "Where's Waldo" Moment looking at that last pic from Salton Sea, hehe.

Upland is so much fun, makes scouting more interesting for sure. Came across a buck and doe bedded down chasing birds. Upland is probably the one thing you could probably successfully hunt in local OC mountains. Just hop into the creek beds and head upstream, but if they flush out of the creek bed your screwed, wont be able to follow them up the mountain. There is quail there. Im off today, I want to go out there for a few hours now......

That first spot we had at Salton Sea was perfect, we had the wind, a funnel, vantage point in the shade, she just went right into the set. I want to get one of those decoys, kept her attention off us once she ran in with her back to us.

If you need dove decoys Walmart has these decoys for $5 for 2 pack on the clearance isles. Found these at Foothill location, not sure if there are any left, or if they are any good but may be worth checking your local store clearance isle.

image.jpg

Yeah I don't know who's map that is but I've seen two different ones that state differently.

Hrmm, in 2015 I got this map from the place you stop to get day use tags on Hwy 39 going into Azusa. At that time it was much newer looking and updated from the scanned copy somebody else had shared with me on another site.

I notice the link you're posting shows 2010 as part of the URL path. Be a good idea to go back and make sure they don't have an updated one.

Also the map I showed here is for San Gabriel Mountains, the one you list is for SB county. Possibly that area runs across the county line? Wonder if the two different "parts" of it have different rules? That could make sense since LA is usually more restrictive about everything I suppose.

Thank you parkermann for showing that other map. (screenshot zoomed in on the area we're talking about)
ScreenshotZoomed_sb2010_shooting_areas.jpg

The LA map is the lowest quality barely useable garbage and it's from the 90's... it's says the LA side is open to rifle BTW. Only way I could tell is because the county line bends at Baldy.

When ya get a chance, can you post up some links where you might have seen those other maps?
The SB county was the one map. The other is the old LA county map. It's crap, I'd rather not confuse people with that garbage. I honestly use my best judgement in certain areas because I can't tell anything on that map doesn't directly follow a known County or NF line.

Please be more specific. To what do you refer when you say "The LA map"?

I'm just asking because, as I said, I picked up this paper map directly at the little DFG office you stop at to buy the day use ticket in Azusa. I personally scanned it over to digital myself, since I couldn't find it anywhere online (even though they'll give it to you for free at that office, go figure). And you could tell it was freshly and nicely printed. Again, what I just posted here is a lower resolution screenshot of it. The two JPG's for the scans I did, this site said it was too large for an attachment. Hence the reason I quickly made a lower res scan of them.

Anyway, if any of you guys want the higher resolution scans of this map, just shoot me a PM with an email to send it to.

I just bothered to mention something because I remember how hard it was to find that info when I was looking for it. And when he mentioned hunting... in an area that looks like it's marked closed to both Firearms AND Archery gear... I winced thinking about how much trouble a person would get into.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I submit this Lower Resolution copy for your perusal.
Note the areas shaded in dashed lines.

View attachment 41760
View attachment 41761

Consult their Firearms Closure Map. Mt. Baldy is off limits to both gun and bow.

Maybe the quality is so poor that I cant make it out, but that map definitely shows huntable ground near Mt Baldy. I see Mt Baldy in red right along the western edge of the shaded area. Everything directly south you can bow hunt and everything to the NW you can hunt.

I would definitely not consider Mt Baldy off limits. Areas around it, yes.

That certainly could be. What I *think* I remember is that I looked at it side-by-side with a top-down satellite view and all the "bald" part of that mountain looked like it was in the shaded part. (This has been a while now since I bothered looking there.)

I'm intimately familiar with Cattle Canyon. Painfully so.
12-27-2015 2-56-24 PM.jpg
Actually it changes names as you go along. (Peacock Canyon, Dime Canyon, etc) You go back in there about 4 miles and then you butt-up against a private property Thompson Ranch, that's heavily signed with a big ol long worded NO TRESPASSING sign.

Now... from what I was told by other hunters... the road that leads up to..and passes by... their building and then goes past it... (to take you to where you've shown interest in that map pic) that the public is apparently allowed to go down that road, it's a forest service road (that only forest service and them have keys for the gate to)... but that apparently.... the property owner will come out and get real aggressive and raise heck and tell the person it's private property and they can't come this way.

So I ended up just taking sits on various areas leading up to that point. I don't wanna deal with that kinda hassle. Just gotta pick wisely which areas to sit on. There is game and non-game in there. But, you gotta go in real damn early so you can have your sit before any hikers start wandering thru in the afternoon.

There's a ton of water crossings. (Which is how the slip-and-fall happened which shattered my wrist here.) You're walking in basically totally out in the open where everything would be able to see you coming easily. And you definitely need to be cautious of Rattlers in there. In the Summer at least anyway. Ran across the meanest most pissed-off Rattler I've ever experienced in there. He was rattling at me, loud as hell, even after I'd walked like 25+yds away!

Last edited:
The problem isn’t a lack of hills to hunt, the problem is that those hills are covered in super thick chaparral that you can’t hike through. The one year I did hunt D15 i hunted a burn, once they open up the holy fire burn area it could be a decent area to hunt. Burn areas make D15 much easier to hunt because they clear out the super thick chaparral. In Larry’s youtube vids he found some meadows and had some success, that’s another option you have is to find some meadows. I’m looking forward to checking out the holy fire burn to see if it has any potential.
Hey Im years late to this but if you don’t mind can you link the YouTube channel. I’m also a new hunter to D15

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu