D15 ??

schulte336

Aug 10, 2013
Hello all, Ive noticed that no one ever seems to talk about d15 hunts....... I will probably go out near vail lake fairly close to where a buddy of mine took one , I'm new to deer hunting and won't have time to go far so I figured I would try it. Just curious if anyone else has had any success out here....

For a long time, I had permission to hunt the property around Vail Lake......Some real quality bucks around it. I'm sure you know now that area is all private property. Across Hwy 79 there is NF (Dripping Springs), but I'm sure you're probably aware that area is D-16.

It's been a long time, but I used to see deer near the Upper San Juan Campground off of Hwy 74 while pigeon hunting...Lots of NF up there....The other area was Indian Truck Tr. But, I've heard that it is now closed off with a gate.

Thanks for the info

For the most part , vail lake is mostly private lands but from what I saw on google earth there is a fairly big chunk of blm land maybe a 1 or 2 miles north of it. I'll probably go check it out sometimes during the week and hopefully it isn't gated

I used to go hunting around Indian truck trail too but the owner of the land I hunted died and the new owner doesn't want hunters :(

Yeah, I see those pieces of BLM.......We used to call the mountain on the north side of Vail, Mt. Diablo.......Probably a good place to check out. If the roads are anything like they used to be up there. Make sure your truck is prepared for a rough ride.

ilovesprig said:
Yeah, I see those pieces of BLM.......We used to call the mountain on the north side of Vail, Mt. Diablo.......Probably a good place to check out. If the roads are anything like they used to be up there. Make sure your truck is prepared for a rough ride.

Yeah im sure, especially with that hard rain we had out this way a few weeks ago

Haven't hunted d15 for a few years. Shot a big forky up there off of wierick exit in a place called Bedford trail. But since then they have just built a golf course and too many houses. Pretty thick brush in the trabuco district. But to be positive about it I hear that there are a lot of big bucks in that zone because of the good cover so good luck

Sent from my iPhone

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu