D16 A.O. DEER

Benjammin

Feb 5, 2015
Alpine, California
Hello to all trying to find a little help. Over the past 1 1/2 tears I have put numerous days/hours/miles in the field scouting/ trail cameras, glassing, all over east county I.E. boulder creek, Engineers rd., pine creek, thing valley rd. McCain valley, lyons valley, etc. & haven't seen anything but a doe & 2 fawns. I am usualy on the trail @ 3 to 4 am & not back to the truck until 7 to 8 pm. I am always very quiet, use scent spray/laundry soap etc. I am not asking for anyones secret spot or honey hole but would appreciate any info or help. Thank you & good luck to all for opening day this saturday

AO bucks in D16 are hard to come by, but can be had. Rather then run all over you should pick the area you want to hunt then just learn it.. Every tree, bush and blade of grass. Scout the area every year learn where the deer are bedding, eating, and going for water and at what times. It may take a year or two or you may get lucky right away. In any case do that and you will get onto and maybe get your deer every year.

Desert, desert desert......so many people look for meadows, yeah they can be good but for public land the desert is better and big glass is a must no need to hike all over glass at first light covering lots of areas for the first few hours then go hike around and look for tracks once you find good numbers of tracks game on.......it takes time glassing to see the deer they are hard to spot so pick it apart slowly and look for objects that don't fit in big or small.....

Good luck it can take several years to find a good spot or even see a deer, patience is a must or knock on some doors and ask if they will let you hunt

Reactions: Goyaałé
MJB said:
Desert, desert desert......so many people look for meadows, yeah they can be good but for public land the desert is better and big glass is a must no need to hike all over glass at first light covering lots of areas for the first few hours then go hike around and look for tracks once you find good numbers of tracks game on.......it takes time glassing to see the deer they are hard to spot so pick it apart slowly and look for objects that don't fit in big or small.....

Good luck it can take several years to find a good spot or even see a deer, patience is a must or knock on some doors and ask if they will let you hunt

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJB said:

X3

Get as high as you can with a good vantage point sit down get comfortable and glass. When you feel like you want to move, ignore it and keep on glassing. Every location you mentioned holds deer. Your best bet is to be patient and let them move. You just need to be in a position to see that movement.

I'll ask the obvious here, are you getting deer on your Cams?

Took me the same amount of time to figure it out if you see doe bucks are around. Glass glass glass. More glassing. It will all come together just be patient read and learn everything about your target. Food habits trails poop.etc it will click

thank you sig it is all clicking together fresh tracks poop lots of local food bedding etc. just no bucks but have seen the tracks & sheds. & yes aeon have 1 doe 2 fawns & cameras are working good just no bucks. thank you very much gents for the quick responses. MUCH appreciated !!!!

If all your seeing is the same 3 deer that's not enough tracks to hunt by or put a cam up. Sure check it but don't hang your hat on it. I want so many tracks it looks like a cattle drive

Reading tracks is a must first step, it will tell you more than any cam and it can't read tracks it's not on. But you can read tracks anywhere if you know how. I've never used a cam and most hunters don't unless your on TV hunting WT

If you know where they bed find the ins and outs then put it up or a pinch point or an area many trails cross each other.

The buck won't be out during daylight until the second or third weekend of the season chasing does. Opening weekend the woods get tossed upside down so theirs a real good chance you'll see one but he won't be out until last and first light or running from hunters. After you hear shots get those eyes in the direction of the shots.

TaftHunter said:
MJB said:

X2

Great stuff. Last time I went to a desert spot I got up to my vista and bam. There they were all 15 trucks, 3 deer camps, atvs running over cactuses to get up to ridges. It was quite the site haha

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu