D16 Buck

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
After hunting this specific spot for the last 6 hunting days, I been able to watch quite a bit of deer moving through the area. Only problem is that the spot was full of does, spikes, and small forkeys. I waited for awhile hoping a bigger buck will move into the area but with my hunting days being limited starting this week, I told my self I would take a good solid legal buck if the opportunity presented its self.

I got to my same blind at o' dark thirty and waited for light in 23 degree temps. The first deer to arrive were a pair of spikes and a small forky chasing the crap out of four does. I watched and waited till about 0700 when all the deer were alerted to something below them. I glassed and glassed but all I could see were 8 other does working their way towards my shooting lane. All of a sudden I saw bright white antlers running and chasing a doe. I put glasses on him and saw that he was a decent sized forky.

The buck disappeared with the doe below the ridge out of sight so I continued in my spot. A few minutes later a single does shows up over the ridge to my left at around 40 yards. Soon after I see tall forks come up over the ridge. I can see the bright white antlers and see that it's the big forky. He makes it broadside at 40 yards and put a round right through his pumper.

I size him and see that he actually have no teeth and was blind in his right eye. Judging by his antlers, teeth, and body he seems to be a old buck so it was good to get this guy out of the herd. So now I'm tagged out and ready for hogs and ducks.

Good luck to everyone on the rest of D16 and A22!

Photo link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56768771@N08/8183860344

Cograts, I had a hard time trying to post my pics and a good friend showed me that the file was to large. So he reduced to size and it work.

Thanks guys! The nice part was that I was able to get my 5 year old out this season and he got to make a nice stalk on some turkeys with his kiddie bear bow and get off a shot (arrow landed about 5 yards in frot of him so no turkeys were in direct harm). Lots of great memories this fall.

I attached a flikr link to the photos.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu