D17 Help

cattledog04

Sep 12, 2017
Good morning. This is my second season of "self guided" hunting. So to say I'm just learning is an understatement, but it's awesome to be out there with my boy. I drew a D17 tag this year and have a buddy that chukar hunts in that unit and see's deer and deer signs quite often when he's out there. I'm just looking for tips or pointers for that type of terrain that anyone is willing to help with. Thanks in advance.

This to will help

Haven’t hunted it but I would hunt D17 like any of the other desert units. #1 Find water, #2 get high, #3 glass glass glass.

FYI I have heard rumors of some monsters coming out of D17 the past few seasons.

There are numerous “island” mountains and mountain chains in the unit. I recommend getting up off the desert floor in one of these areas. Get topo maps or better yet OnX maps and go to work....

Funny, me and my hunting buddy drew for d17 for the first time as well. We actually just got back from our first scout this past weekend. We covered a lot of ground and saw sign in each area we checked. We were looking like crazy at all the ridges and mountains; we did see some. I will give you this clue though: we were surprised at how many deer we saw on the desert floor/ flat areas. One more clue as it pertains to any possible area in the zone: the deer were feeding like crazy on bitterbrush and desert almond. Find active water source nearby, feeding shrubs and you will no doubt find the deer.

Not bad at all. Highs of ~95, but humidity of ~5% made it completely tolerable. One of the nights it got down to ~60 which was really nice.

Find a saddle where multiple ridges come together. The draw in which the wind most normally wants to flow into, in warmer weather that will be where. In colder weather, they'll instead likely choose another of the draws that doesn't normally have the air blowing into it. So it's warmer for them. Make sure to bring a trekking pole.

Does anyone set up trail cams out there? IF so, what kind? I only own one but was thinking of getting a couple that will send pics to my phone since it's so far for me. Just wondering if it's worth it, or is it more likely to get stolen?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu