D19 / New to California

Ahamblin

Feb 7, 2015
Hello,

I'm new to california moved from Utah and am an avid hunter prefer bow hunting. Iv harvested some big deer in Utah over 15 years but how the tables have turned I have no clue where to start here lol. I'm reaching out to see if I could get some guidance and help from a few fellow hunters. I will be living in Idyllwild and have access to those mountains on a weekly basis so I can put time in. But where do I start any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Ahamblin. It's definitely harder here than in Utah on public land, but with your home location and your past experience you'll be way ahead of the game. Start by reading the threads on the newbie page that have to do with where to get maps of NF and BLM land. Go on CA DFW's website and see what areas look interesting. Then go out and have some fun! Do you have a GPS or hunt map app like Trimble or onx hunt? They are great for keeping you legal when you are on public land next to a boundary, which is common here.

Thanks Bone I'll check them out.

I have a garmin called a rhino that I can upload maps to and I also have Trimble. Thanks again I'll let you know how it works out.....

Welcome to SCH........Good friend is the biologist in that area (D-19)........When we get closer, shoot me a PM and we'll talk.

I am new to this forum also. I have been in San Diego County area for 10 years now, from Montana.
Every couple years I have been able to go back and hunt Elk and Deer during archery season.
This year I am finally going to try hunting down here. Happy to join you on some scouting outings and/or hunts.
Most likelI'll be hunting deer archery only.

Gutpiler,

Welcome to SCH.........Just a suggestion.........You may want to start your own thread and put in it a little history of your hunting adventures (including pix).

Good luck

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu