DANG IT! GRR!! Lever locked-up tight!

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
Ok, took 1894 .44 to a nearby indoor range to do an initial sight in of the scope (FT3). At around 100 shots when I got it nicely dialed-in, the freakin' lever locks up in the open position when I go to jack another round it! From what I can tell... the loading gate and the feed ramp thing that goes up and down have somehow gotten bound-up together.

Just Lovely. I presume I just need to disassemble the action and clean and lube around inside there? Anybody with tips and insight please chime in.

Meh, at least the last group was real nice. (Except for where I flubbed it. Still getting used to that stiff trigger.)

Ok, Phew... thankfully the problem was simple. After I removed the lever and cleaned and lube. I figured out that there is a screw you can get to from the outside, which tightens back up the springing action of the loading gate. Must have loosened up a bit from all those .44 rounds going off.

Is that a 100 yard group ?

Oh no no... this is just an initial quick sight-in locally at an indoor. I'll go into Nikon's spoton app and plug in the data about the load and you can put in Zero distance and distance of the available target distance you have, and it can show you how far above or below bullseye you need to be in order to get your desired zero, at the zero distance you've plugged in. (As well as generate a Ballistics card to show the bullet drop at various distance intervals so I can memorize it before hand)

Typically I'll do a quick-and-dirty like this to get it as close as you can get it with the limited distance. Then later when I get a chance to go into the field, or an outdoors range it'll only take a couple more shots with the actual hunting ammo to fine-tune the zero with a target set at the actual zero distance to gaurantee I've tested it under actual field conditions with the actual ammo I intend to hunt with.

I'm big on testing and knowing for sure things will work before I commit to bringing them into the field and relying upon them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu