Darn tough or Smartwool?

Hiryuu

Aug 24, 2019
San Diego
So I got some cheap big5 boots, I know I should have gotten better,but I want some good socks. I'm stuck between Darn tough and Smartwool. Years back I use to use fox river, and I loved them over my issued socks. I have sweaty feet and they worked pretty good. I've since learned about the wonderful properties of merino wool, so I want to get some good wool socks. If u prefer another brand drop that info too.

So about the big 5 boots. They are the Highlanders. Tread feels good, fit is ok, except the ankle support is super loose. Only benefit to the loose ankle support is the seeming room available for an ankle support wrap.

Thanks for y'alls suggestions

I like smart wool they are the only one of the two I have experience with.
This season I am running the Kuiu crew socks they are expensive but super comfortable. They were recently on sale for $15 a pair but I think I paid around $30. They have extra cushioning in all the areas it is needed. I bought 2 pairs which is more than enough for me

Do yourself a favor and bring the big 5 boots back. Try and find a pair of used higher end boots on eBay a lot of them are barely used. Just got my kid a used set of REI boots for $25 like new on eBay.

Last edited:
I like smart wool they are the only one of the two I have experience with.
This season I am running the Kuiu crew socks they are expensive but super comfortable. They were recently on sale for $15 a pair but I think I paid around $25. They have extra cushioning in all the areas it is needed. I bought 2 pairs which is more than enough for me

Do yourself a favor and bring the big 5 boots back. Try and find a pair of used higher end boots on eBay a lot of them are barely used. Just got my kid a used set of REI boots for $25 like new on eBay.
I would, but they were under 30. So they were destined to be very short term boots. I really dont like buying boots un-fitted. I was about to buy some irish setters since there is some redwings locally. Only one was open, and they only had womens ravines. My local rei closed permanently, and the next closest had 1 boot in stock. Dicks was the same stock wise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Check GTM or Costco. I found some merino wool socks by Kirkland that are great. Keep my feet pretty dry after a long day.
Gtm? Couldn't find that brand. I think one of my wifes friends has a Costco membership will check them out.

I LOVE the Darn Tough socks together with FoxRiver liner socks. With this combination I'm able to hike TWICE as long before any blisters happen.

They are VERY comfy! My feet get tore up EASILY... and they don't get tore up with this combination!

I've warn them in temperatures from as high as 116F to a little below 32F, no problem. Although on the hotter side of things it's a good idea to bring an extra pair to switch over to for the hike back out so you start out dry again. Staying dry inside your boots seems to be the key to preventing the blistering stuff from happening. And the FoxRiver liner socks seem to really help with that. With letting the water vapor escape.

Last edited:
So I got some cheap big5 boots, I know I should have gotten better,but I want some good socks. I'm stuck between Darn tough and Smartwool. Years back I use to use fox river, and I loved them over my issued socks. I have sweaty feet and they worked pretty good. I've since learned about the wonderful properties of merino wool, so I want to get some good wool socks. If u prefer another brand drop that info too.

So about the big 5 boots. They are the Highlanders. Tread feels good, fit is ok, except the ankle support is super loose. Only benefit to the loose ankle support is the seeming room available for an ankle support wrap.

Thanks for y'alls suggestions

I have been using Darn Tough sock this whole year... I hike a LOT for work and the socks are holding up really well, Plus I hike in tall leather boots and spend up to 18 hr in my boots during the fire season...the boots get a little humid from sweat but my feet is not stinky. I think I had some smart wool socks last year but am not 100% sure so I'll hold any comment about them...

I LOVE the Darn Tough socks together with FoxRiver liner socks. With this combination I'm able to hike TWICE as long before any blisters happen. Only thing I will say is that I need to go back and get the next size larger of the Darn Tough socks though. Whatever size I got is just a hair too small of my calves.
So liner socks. Its something I've never really heard of until very recently. When I was in basic I heard of wearing a dress sock under ur boot sock, and from what i found recently with liner socks, it sounds pretty much the same. When I tried that then it did nothing to help.

Also the darn toughs run small? Boot size or shoe size? I seem to run rampant on boot sizes, but my shoe is pretty consistent.

When it comes to the boots... definitely get a pair with the memory foam liner in the sole. I'm on my second pair of Salomon GTX 4's. After 3 years the first pair was starting to look their age, and you do not want your boots to be the piece of gear that craps out on you in TimBukThree (it's a little farther than TimBukTu :) )

So liner socks. Its something I've never really heard of until very recently. When I was in basic I heard of wearing a dress sock under ur boot sock, and from what i found recently with liner socks, it sounds pretty much the same. When I tried that then it did nothing to help.

Also the darn toughs run small? Boot size or shoe size? I seem to run rampant on boot sizes, but my shoe is pretty consistent.

I think they do run a little small. Whichever size I have right now (which I think is named 10-13??)... I need the opening for the calves to be a little bigger. I don't notice it in the beginning of the day.. but buy the time you're at the end of the night and back at the truck... with all the swelling of your limbs it leaves a noticeable impression in the ankle/calf area, again due to the swelling of the tissues from the hike out and the tiredness.

I have been using Darn Tough sock this whole year... I hike a LOT for work and the socks are holding up really well, Plus I hike in tall leather boots and spend up to 18 hr in my boots during the fire season...the boots get a little humid from sweat but my feet is not stinky. I think I had some smart wool socks last year but am not 100% sure so I'll hold any comment about them...
Humid. I like that word. Not really as a description for a sock, but I think it puts a few of the reviews I've seen in a better word. By so you mean heat and moisture is a bit stagnant, but not actually wet. 18hr fire shifts sounds like a good work sock. So. Other follow up questions: light, medium, or heavy sock, and do you use powder?

Throw the big 5 boots away or return them, Their products are Chinese junk and unless you have bionic feet they will hurt you. Go online and look at good hunt sites that endorse boots (SCH is a good place to start). In the world of hard core hunting and pushing the limits of your ability the cheap stuff will almost always let you down and in a lot cases hurt you to the point of needing to refrain and recover (time out of the field while you heal). Look at Kennetrek and Crispi to start with IMO. I would also recommend to go to local outdoor stores that offer high end products so that you can evaluate their product to gain knowledge but all of them in So Cal are anti hunting so if you decide to purchase from them you are giving your money to people that want to shut down what you are trying to do and as such I will not name or recommend them. Same as with any high quality product buy once and cry once as far as quality goes but expect to replace them as the wear out or can be resoled. As far as socks go same thing you get what you pay for (do not use cotton). In this part of the world because of the climate we do not get crazy cold, you want synthetic and breathable and change them on every outing (I also do not recommend insulated boots in this part of the world as they get too warm) and if you do that you will be good to go.

I think they do run a little small. Whichever size I have right now (which I think is named 10-13??)... I need the opening for the calves to be a little bigger. I don't notice it in the beginning of the day.. but buy the time you're at the end of the night and back at the truck... with all the swelling of your limbs it leaves a noticeable impression in the ankle/calf area, again due to the swelling of the tissues from the hike out and the tiredness.
Noted. My calves aren't as fat as they used to be, but they still run thick.

PS... you definitely want the liner socks. Dude... I'm telling you... I'm a total Tenderfoot. Trust me when I'm telling you... get the Darn Tough socks... together with the FoxRiver liner socks.

The other reason I love this combo is that both of them have very thin non-obtrusive seams on them at the toe region. If a seam rides over my toes... they WILL shred the skin to pieces, badly... with these socks, when I'm putting them on, being careful to position the seam of the liner sock and the outer sock carefully below the line of my toe knuckles... I'm good to go... all damn day and then some.

I went thru several different Cabelas this and BassPro that before I found the Darn Tough socks man. Don't waste your time, get the Darn Toughs. They will feel a bit hotter when you're in high temps. If you are not hiking far and the temps are high you can elect to skip the liner sock, and that will help on the boiling hot days a little bit. But your socks will get sweatier quicker without the liner sock, so have that extra pair to change out to for the hike back to the truck, depending on how far away you are.

Last edited:
Throw the big 5 boots away or return them, Their products are Chinese junk and unless you have bionic feet they will hurt you. Go online and look at good hunt sites that endorse boots (SCH is a good place to start). In the world of hard core hunting and pushing the limits of your ability the cheap stuff will almost always let you down and in a lot cases hurt you to the point of needing to refrain and recover (time out of the field while you heal). Look at Kennetrek and Crispi to start with IMO. I would also recommend to go to local outdoor stores that offer high end products so that you can evaluate their product to gain knowledge but all of them in So Cal are anti hunting so if you decide to purchase from them you are giving your money to people that want to shut down what you are trying to do and as such I will not name or recommend them. Same as with any high quality product buy once and cry once as far as quality goes but expect to replace them as the wear out or can be resoled. As far as socks go same thing you get what you pay for (do not use cotton). In this part of the world because of the climate we do not get crazy cold, you want synthetic and breathable and change them on every outing (I also do not recommend insulated boots in this part of the world as they get too warm) and if you do that you will be good to go.
Oh I know the quality. One of the seams on the tounge split when I was putting them on. These are meant as very short term boots. I'm taking some trips soon, boots are on my look for list.

PSS... learn to double knot your laces on your boots... after you knot them... take the loops and knot those a second time.

And if your hunting pants have tie-able cinches on the bottoms... tie them off below your boots lace knot to help ensure you're not going to have to pester with re-tying your laces out in the field.

Humid. I like that word. Not really as a description for a sock, but I think it puts a few of the reviews I've seen in a better word. By so you mean heat and moisture is a bit stagnant, but not actually wet. 18hr fire shifts sounds like a good work sock. So. Other follow up questions: light, medium, or heavy sock, and do you use powder?

I use the thicker socks and no line at all nor powders...At the end of the day, my feet is not wet looking (discolored and wrinkly) but my boots definitely are humid. I don't think its possible to evaporate all that sweat from your feet in leather boots so they will absorb the moisture.
After today's PT hike during lunch I removed my boot and sock to rehab a cut I got on my pinky toe and some blisters and gave a sniff to see how bad my sock was...gross yes but oh well, to my surprise it smelled like fresh laundry.

PSS... learn to double knot your laces on your boots... after you knot them... take the loops and knot those a second time.

And if your hunting pants have tie-able cinches on the bottoms... tie them off below your boots lace knot to help ensure you're not going to have to pester with re-tying your laces out in the field.
We dong double knot, the way we deal with the untying lace problem is by flipping the sock down and over the laces...never have to worry about the laces coming undone that way.

PS... you definitely want the liner socks. Dude... I'm telling you... I'm a total Tenderfoot. Trust me when I'm telling you... get the Darn Tough socks... together with the FoxRiver liner socks.

The other reason I love this combo is that both of them have very thin non-obtrusive seams on them at the toe region. If a seam rides over my toes... they WILL shred the skin to pieces, badly... with these socks, when I'm putting them on, being careful to position the seam of the liner sock and the outer sock carefully below the line of my toe knuckles... I'm good to go... all damn day and then some.

I went thru several different Cabelas this and BassPro that before I found the Darn Tough socks man. Don't waste your time, get the Darn Toughs. They will feel a bit hotter when your in high temps. If you are not hiking far and the temps are high you can elect to skip the liner sock, and that will help on the boling hot days a little bit.

I've blistered out my feet several times. From soft foot to dead. I'm currently around a worn thick leather consistency. Also my feet run hot, may skip liners

Oh... and DEFINITELY get the PEET's Boot Dryer! Before I got that device... I could NEVER completely get the smell out of my boots (I have a very sensitive nose for a human). Every single time now.. when I come back... I just hose my boots inside then out... put 'em on the PEET's boot dryer. The next day... you take 'em off... stuff your nose deep down into your boot... BOOM, It's All good!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu