Declaration of Entry

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Hi Everyone!

While I haven't been able to get out for turkey's yet, I have had a few minutes to start planning for my out of state elk hunt at the end of the year.

I have a couple of out of state hunting questions, assuming a successful hunt:

1) Do you typically get a declaration of entry form for every state you drive through with the meat? Or just your final destination (CA)?
2) Assuming you are coming down the 15 FWY, do you stop at the inspection station to hand them a copy of the form?
3) I'm hunting elk in a known CWD area (border of CO and UT), do you guys get your meat tested there, here or both?
4) I see that no skull or backbone may be brought into CA, however a clean skull plate or a finished taxidermy head. What do you guys typically do? I will be on a cow elk hunt, so I am less concerned about keeping the head but would like to do a euromount (if allowed).

I get they are protecting our cervids from CWD, but it is annoying that I can't do a euromount myself in CA with a cervid harvested outside of CA.

For reference: 14 CCR § 712
https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Do...ype=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

Anything else that you would like to add would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jake

Hi Everyone!

While I haven't been able to get out for turkey's yet, I have had a few minutes to start planning for my out of state elk hunt at the end of the year.

I have a couple of out of state hunting questions, assuming a successful hunt:

1) Do you typically get a declaration of entry form for every state you drive through with the meat? Or just your final destination (CA)?
2) Assuming you are coming down the 15 FWY, do you stop at the inspection station to hand them a copy of the form?
3) I'm hunting elk in a known CWD area (border of CO and UT), do you guys get your meat tested there, here or both?
4) I see that no skull or backbone may be brought into CA, however a clean skull plate or a finished taxidermy head. What do you guys typically do? I will be on a cow elk hunt, so I am less concerned about keeping the head but would like to do a euromount (if allowed).

I get they are protecting our cervids from CWD, but it is annoying that I can't do a euromount myself in CA with a cervid harvested outside of CA.

For reference: 14 CCR § 712
https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Do...ype=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

Anything else that you would like to add would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jake
no spinal cord , no brain

I just came back from a successful elk hunt in Colorado I stopped at the checkpoint just past primm they said they are not checking anymore but some stations are? I boiled the head out in co before I came through . Finished taxidermy is acceptable from what I read, I just mailed off the form I filled out to CDFW

I just came back from a successful elk hunt in Colorado I stopped at the checkpoint just past primm they said they are not checking anymore but some stations are? I boiled the head out in co before I came through . Finished taxidermy is acceptable from what I read, I just mailed off the form I filled out to CDFW
Just out of curiousity, will you have it tested for CDW?

Reactions: longbowhunter2

I believe you are required to declare your game coming into the great state of Ca

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu