declining deer population in d-16

TJD123

Jun 3, 2013
They forgot to mention something......non managed lions

HERD CONDITIONS AND HABITATS
The deer population in Zone D-16 is considered stable to slightly declining. As with most deer herds in California and other western states, the long-term population trend has been on a steady decline since the 1960’s and 1970’s. These long-term declines have been due to land management practices that have precluded fire, resulting in changes toward more mature and less diverse habitats, and reduced quality and quantity of deer habitats. Short-term fluctuations in deer populations are usually attributed to weather events that affect forage production.

TJD123 said:
HERD CONDITIONS AND HABITATS
The deer population in Zone D-16 is considered stable to slightly declining. As with most deer herds in California and other western states, the long-term population trend has been on a steady decline since the 1960’s and 1970’s. These long-term declines have been due to land management practices that have precluded fire, resulting in changes toward more mature and less diverse habitats, and reduced quality and quantity of deer habitats. Short-term fluctuations in deer populations are usually attributed to weather events that affect forage production.

DUH!!!.......Like I've mentioned many times, these deer are very similar to white-tails, living their entire lives in a 2 mile radius.....I've hunted deer in D-16 since the 70s.....WAY WAY more deer after the 2003 & 2007 fires for obvious reasons....Better habitat, better food, and more water....The boom of our deer is pretty much over for now (as will be the cat population).....The predator/prey ratio will fluctuate accordingly.

With more rain this year, we got thicker chaparral.....Tougher to see them, fewer edges, and I think better for predators to ambush bucks.....Add in very little mast (acorns), and I see the deer population declining from the highs of the 2005-2114, but basically just back to normal.....It will stay this way until the next big burns come again (this summer may be the one with high grasses).

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu