Decoy question

duckhunter

Jun 19, 2014
Hey guys. I just moved to San Diego from the east coast and am looking forward to trying my luck this year at Wister and San Jacinto(if I can get drawn in). The only decoys I brought from home are 2 electronic mallard mojos, there for I am looking to up some floaters. I'm looking for some input on what kinda of decoys to use out at these places from what I've read on this site I was thinking about buying some green wing teal decoys and maybe some mallards. Looking for some input!

Thanks!

Teal and Malkards will be fine, but you might also want some wigeon. Make sure to read the regs on spinning wing decoys, you cannot use them all season.

I hunt on private property next to wister and I normally use spoonbill and greenwing decoys. Late in the season, coot decoys tend to help too

Welcome to SoCal.........Spinning wings are not allowed until after Dec1 (although, that can change year to year). If I was starting over, I think I would first own 2 dozen decoys.......6 widgeon, 6 pintail, 6 shovelers, and probably 6 mallards.......Even though greenwings and cinnamons will be common in your bag. These two species will decoy to the others species.......2 dozen GHG's are very realistic and show well when on the open bodies of water you'll be hunting. Despite only being able to shoot 2 pintail. These decoys are very attractive to all waterfowl.......As you start adding to your spread, I would add widgeon. They will be end up being the most targeted species in our local hunting spots.

Don't not having a res card stop you from hunting Wister. With the exception of the opener and maybe Christmas week. You can always get on. San J is a little tougher, but on most days you can get on there at some point and time during the day.........2 cents.

I really appreciate the quick responses guys. I will definitely take this new information in to consideration when buying my new decoys. I'm glad you guys mentioned that spinning decoys are not aloud for parts of the season, I would not have known.

ilovesprig, when you are talking about a res card do you mean just having a resident hunting licenses as a posed to a nonresident? I am still trying to wrap my head around this whole draw process, because back home its who ever shows up to the holes first gets it!

Thanks again guys!

He is refering to a Wister reservation. You can go on as a walk on.

DH,

Our state wildlife areas and refuges (federal) have a lottery system that you can apply for ($1.34 per shoot day applied for in advance). I'm sure before the season, someone will show you how to do it. What I was stating is that you can hunt these two wildlife areas without having a reservation.....It does cost to hunt these two.....$20.78 per day..... You can purchase a yearly pass for $156.60. The season pass is good for any wildlife area and federal refuge thru-out the state. Lake Henshaw has a freelancing program, but it does cost $25.00 a day.

There are few places to truely freelance like what your referring too (no cost).......The Salton Sea and the Colorado River are your best bet for that style of duck hunting.......Totally free and1st come, 1st served hunting.

well what did you order?

You should have taken Sluester up on his offer. His decoys have seen much carnage and are worth their weight in karma

Did you just get stationed at Pendleton? We can talk more about hunting on base for ducks and deer.

Very nice Mike...........Always a great feeling giving someone a start in the waterfowling world.......... ;)

ilovesprig said:
Very nice Mike...........Always a great feeling giving someone a start in the waterfowling world.......... ;)

Ya' or you may have been the gateway to getting him hooked on something worse than heroin! ;D

Definitely got some good karma coming your way. Maybe a few ducks with jewelry this season

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu