Deer Calls

HunterBK

Apr 18, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Are you using any deer calls for Mule Deer in California? If so, what are you using and what have been the results?

The buck in my profile pic came running in to a Primos Doe Bleet Can Call, so I will definitely have one of those in my pack again. Also thinking about using a grunt call coupled with some sort of rattling bag or other rattling system - I don't really want to carry real antlers into the field with me.

Interested to see what has and hasn't worked for others out there.

Ditto on the Bleet can.
Same thing happened to the one in my profile picture too :)
That's about the only one I've had luck with around here.
I do know some guys that swear by rattling, but I've have had any luck doing it.

I haven't used deer calls but we rattled up a runner up buck for Rusty two years ago. This big buck came in running and snorting ready to do battle. It works certain times of the season

I was out hunting coyotes two weeks ago and my buddy was using the call. As we walked into the stand, we saw a doe and yearling hanging around. As soon as the call was turned on (I believe it was a cottontail call), the doe came storming in, snorting and kicking rocks for a couple of minutes. She then took off. Just to see what would happen, my buddy switched to a fawn distress. The doe came back with the yearling in tow. This time she was REALLY pissed. She charged the call and was blowing, snorting, hopping up and down...really going crazy! This lasted several minutes before she moved off to about 150 yards and watched us for five to seven minutes before finally leaving. This, of course, would be illegal for deer hunting here in Kalifornika, but shows that calls do work. Just make it a mouth call during deer season!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu