deer hunting scent control ?

steveo007

Nov 24, 2011
chula vista
newbie deer hunter i'm guessing a deer can smell you before they see you,how important is scent control clothing,should you have scent control base layers,and scent control camo gear,
or just use some of that spray scent control and body wash,and deodorant if so what brands do you guys prefer ?

Well I'm no expert, but here is a summary of what I've read and learned in the field, for what it's worth. I think it only matters if you need to bring them in close, like archery hunting out here or white tail stand hunting back East. At longer ranges I doubt it matters at all. I watched a ton of deer walk right around me last year while bow hunting, and if the breeze was steady, they never knew I was there till they were directly downwind of me (within 10 deg either way). When the wind was shifty, they were skittish no matter what I did for scent control. Aside from commercial items you mention, what you eat before you hunt has a big effect so good to keep in mind: onions and garlic last more than a day, and coffee leaves a strong scent, if you are willing to even consider giving that up before your hunt (I'm not). I use unscented soap and shampoo before I go out, make sure I store my hunting clothes and fabric gear (packs, caps, gloves etc) in a well ventillated area so it doesn't pick up chemical, gasoline or oil smells such as from my garage or tool shed, and I spray scent suppressor on my boots and clothing as I approach a stand or between me and a decoy. I (my dear wife) also washes my clothing in unscented detergent. If you find any cow pies as you enter your hunting area, that's one of the more effective (and cheap) scent control agents. You step in it; do not apply to clothing...;)
One other thing: if you buy scent control gear, be careful how you wash it. Some scent suppressing clothing can be de-activated by regular detergent.

Stevo,

Just my opinion as well........I have not found anything that truly makes you unscented and I've tried all the above methods (horse poop instead).......There's been a ton a research on it too.......In fact, I think it was Scent-Lok or one of those companies that got sued for false advertisement.

Can you be less odorest (new word?) probably......But deer downwind are going to smell you plain and simple......Save your money, play the wind......2 cents

Play the wind, wash before you hunt & dont forget your mouth......if you can smell you the animals surly can

Funny quick story. Last year in D16 with my Father In Law. He wasn't a believer in scent control sprays. I kept all my clothes at least clean and as scent free from detergents as possible. I saw a GRIP of does every single day and even had some pass me within 10 yards. He saw just a few but from a distance and never had a close encounter. Towards the last few days, he asked me if it was a bad idea to be wizzing and dumping near his setup. I just looked at him like :eek: :( ::) :-[ . Don't hurt yourself by stinking if you can avoid it, but I wouldn't be spending $hundo's on scent control spray thinking it'll be your saving grace.

Gear

Gear Prep is pretty straight forward. The first step is to figure out exactly what you’re bringing out to the woods with you for the hunt (Deer Calls, Steps, Hooks, Water bottle, Range Finder, etc…)

Wipe all the equipment down with field wipes and leave them outside on a clean plastic sheet (Garbage Bag) to dry.

Take the calls/anything that goes in your mouth and place them in a plastic zip-lock bag.

Place all the gear into an air-tight container (I use a pelican case here and a seal-line bag when I fly to hunt)

Make sure you can get into it again, so don’t tie a garbage bag shut.

Cloths

Cloths includes outerwear, base layers, travel cloths and anything that touches your body from the point you shower in the morning until you return to the truck after a hunt.

I have 4 categories, outerwear, morning wear, base layers and special gear.

Outerwear / Scent-Lock

I use scent-lock during the season after the weather drops below about 55-60 degrees when I leave the truck in the morning. It needs to be washed about 2-3 times a year and placed in the dryer on HIGH heat for 60 min prior to every hunt.

After reactivating in the dryer it goes directly into an air-tight container (I use garbage bags, squeeze out all the air that I can and tie it shut). Then it goes into a travel bag to take to the woods.

The base layers, head cover and gloves I use all year regardless of the temperature. I use a different container for the base layers that are re-sealable because I have two pairs, that way I can use one and change back at the truck prior to going out again in the afternoon.

Base Layers / Morning Wear

This part gets complicated. I consider underwear, socks and any other warm cloths I’m going to wear out base layers. All of this should be washed together. Thing about everything you are going to need to get to the stand. You will need a towel after your shower, pair of underwear/socks/cloths to drive to the woods in. This is your morning bag and it should be washed and dried with scent killer. I like Scent-Killer mixed with DDW for Detergent and CodeBlue for dryer sheets. It really doesn’t matter.

Wash your base layers and any warm clothing the same way as your morning cloths. You will need completely new cloths for the hunt. Store them separately from your morning bag so they stay scent-free until the woods.

I always shake DDW or scent-a-way powder in the bags before I close it up, but don’t use a lot because you will want to shake them off before you put it on.

Special Gear

Wash your backpack, or any “cloth” gear you’re taking into the woods in the same way and store it the same way. When you’re done with your backpack you can pack the gear you will need from above and then store the bag pre-packed, just make sure to do it outside and I use latex gloves.

That should cover the cloths to wash. I will end up with a morning bag for each morning I intend to hunt over the weekend, generally 2. Each has a towel, cloths to wear, underwear, socks (I usually don’t use them because I’ll wear my flip-flops or slippers and a sweatshirt if it’s getting to the colder seasons with a little scent killing powder in it as well.

Then I plan out what I’m going to wear or pack to the stand. I make a new bag for each hunt. Usually a t-shirt, new underwear, new socks, and any warm clothing. It should be packed the same way as the morning bag and have a new one for each hunt. Could be 1 or 2 for each morning bag.

If I am thinking about hunting a blind I will have a black-out bag that will have all my black outer layer of clothing in it and will be washed and stored the same way.

If you organize it before you start the wash it makes it easier. I just make piles and make sure I have everything I’ll need.

It’s also a good idea to wash a load of towels with the scent eliminating detergent and dryer sheets before you wash your hunting gear. This removes most of the regular detergent smells.

Person (Morning of the hunt)

I shower with scent killer, use the deodorant, brush teeth (DDW has scent free toothpaste), and use the body/storage powder. I make sure to use the deodorant on the underarms, but also the small of my back because that’s a sweat point. I also use the powder on any other areas that seem to sweat a lot. I apply this right after I get out of the shower.

I will drink coffee and eat on the way out to the woods. I just make sure I have the toothpaste with me and re-brush/swish around the toothpaste with my tongue when I get to the parking spot. I also spray down my seat with scent killer to make sure I don’t smell like the car.

When I get to Laguna I use the bathroom by the visitor center if I have to and then park where I’m going in to hunt.

When I get to the parking spot I use a field wipe on my hands/arms and get out all my gear. Set it out somewhere safe and pack up ready to go.

Then it’s time to get dressed so I use the deodorant and powder again then get my clothes on and get ready to head out. Plan to be cold when you start walking and put on cloths once you get into the stand. Pack the extra cloths once you’re dressed.

I use the DDW mouth spray before I leave the truck and again when I get to the stand/ whenever I need it.

Finally, spray down your gear completely, this includes bow, pack, and stand (the climber, no reason to spray a stand in the field). Then make sure you spray the boots (sides and bottom) you’re wearing to make sure it’s scent free and it’s time to lock the car and head out. Also, remember to spray your release until it is saturated in scent killer. It doesn’t have to drip when it’s cold, but it is a scent collector all summer so try to neutralize it before you go out.

I use nose jammer on the bottom of my boots about 200 yards out, and then again just a short spray at the base of my tree.

This is my buddies regiment, it is very long winded but who knows you may get some use out of it.

Boots

I store my boots in an air-tight container and use 2 small battery operated ozone generators with the DDW storage powder to keep them scent free, and never wear them anywhere other than the woods. Spray them down when I get there. They can’t be scent free enough in my mind.

That’s about it. I think I got the majority of it. Let me know if you have any questions. I know it’s kinda long and drawn out but it seems to work so I’ll keep doing it.

Here's the lawsuit.........The bottom line to me is.....Don't try to smell or stink (smoking, chewing, etc.), but trying to eliminate human scent IMO is impossible in the deer's environment......Their advertisement says 99% scent free (their out for the lawsuit).....That leaves 1%.....That 1 % must be pretty strong...... ;)

Again, save your money.

May 17, 2010

Bestul: Scent Lok Found Guilty of False Advertising

by Scott Bestul

One of the outdoor industry’s heavy hitters took a big counter-punch last Thursday. That’s when U.S District Court Judge Richard Kyle issued a “summary judgement” that found ALS Enterprises, maker of the popular carbon-based “Scent Lok” hunting clothing, liable for false or deceptive advertising. Also named in the suit were Cabela’s Wholesale, Cabela’s Inc., and Gander Mountain Company, companies that either sold Scent Lok products or were licensees who used Scent Lok patents to make and market their own clothing.

[See a story update here]

The suit, first filed nearly three years ago, was brought against Scent Lok etal. by Minnesota hunters Mike Buetow, Larry Richard Stevenson Jr., Joe Rohrbach, Jeff Brosi, and Dennis Deeb. At issue were statements and graphics found in Scent Lok ads asserting that the carbon-impregnated clothing would “eliminate” human odor and allow a hunter to hunt “scent free.” The plaintiffs also took issue with Scent Lok claims that the clothing could be “reactivated” or “regenerated” in a household dryer. The plaintiffs alleged that these ads violated Minnesota’s Consumer Fraud Act, The Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act, and the Unlawful Trade Practices Act.

Though Judge Kyle sided slightly with Scent Lok on the “regeneration” issue, the rest of the news was not good for the clothing giant. “We felt the statements used by Scent Lok in their ads were clear and had only one meaning; that the product controlled all human odor, not just reduced some odor,” said Renae Steiner, an attorney representing the plaintiffs. “Expert witnesses proved that the product simply cannot work as it is advertised, and the judge agreed. Obviously, we’re very pleased with this outcome.”

Though different than a jury trial, the summary judgement process opens the door to further legal woes for Scent Lok, etal. “The plaintiffs now have the right to seek complete restitution for monies they spent on Scent Lok products,” Steiner said. “Unfortunately, the judge denied our case for a class-action status—which would have allowed any Minnesota hunter to join the suit—so damages will be limited to the original plaintiffs in this state. However, plaintiffs in eight other states—Florida, Wisconsin, Illinois, California, New York, Indiana, Maryland, and Michigan —have also filed cases against Scent Lok. We are scheduled to file class certification motions in those cases in July. We have been contacted by hunters in a number of other states, asking us (Steiner was joined by attorney Tom Leach in representing the Minnesota hunters) as well. We consider this case trial-ready and are prepared to proceed.”

That’s what we know so far. What does it all mean? We’ll be discussing that here in the coming weeks

8SteelTown said:
Towards the last few days, he asked me if it was a bad idea to be wizzing and dumping near his setup. I just looked at him like :eek: :( ::) :-[ .
That's a great point. Take along a bottle to pee in if you're stand hunting. Whether on the ground or in a tree, doesn't matter: if you want to come back to a spot, don't mark it with any more scent than necessary. Plus, on your way out you can dump the bottle at your buddy's stand.

Wow. How did people get deer before all these scent blocker's :) ... I do admit I use DDW laundry detergent, & spray for my hat & pack.

I use non smelling, non UV Ray brightening detergent (Sports-Wash from Wal-Mart) on all camo clothing for bird hunting too (ducks, geese, turkeys).

ps...................If turkeys could smell, we'd never get one...Just sayin'... ;)

ilovesprig said:
I use non smelling, non UV Ray brightening detergent (Sports-Wash from Wal-Mart) on all camo clothing for bird hunting too (ducks, geese, turkeys).

ps...................If turkeys could smell, we'd never get one...Just sayin'... ;)

You and your beloved turkeys........LOL

I read this article in F&S a year or so ago, and by chance it was recycled today on their FB page. The do somewhat scientific tests with dogs, and most scent control things don't appear to do much at all. This latest article was about an Ozone generator, that actually seemed to partially mask scent...for a few seconds.

They make the argument, like Bonejour, that those few seconds could be used opportunistically for a close-in bow shot. For long distance stuff I trust the wind more.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2014/07/does-it-work-ozone-scent-control-vs-drug-sniffing-dog?src=SOC&dom=fb

for years I rifle hunted with blue jeans and a hunter green army jacket. and my success rate was about 80%. but like others said these where good distance shots. with the wind in my face and I was always high. so it was tougher for them to pick up my scent. as others said it's more important to conceal your self well and keep the wind in the right direction. I have had less success with bow hunting. but I have seen a lot of deer before they have seen me. by effective scent control. keeping motionless as possible. keeping the wind in my face.

Important to know that regular detergent for laundry has phosphorus as an ingredient and it will make you hunting clothes glow in ultra violet like a light bulb to a deers eyes sight. I use Hunters detergent for hunting even thou it cost more for my hunting clothes. it also masks or removes any human scent up to a point. because Bow hunting requires close encounters with deer. in addition I wash my clothes in baking soda, I cover myself in sage or pine. I try not to sweat if possible. I do use camo. I keep my self well hidden so my outline does not stand out like a sore thumb. I do like to use the scent remover spray and every one has their respective favorite. scent control is only part of game. keeping quite, don't move stay high as possible. track or stalk slowly. a mountain lion will spend hours in one spot motionless while stalking game. and walks slowly then stops often. Hope That Helps.
Ghost

That stuff is designed to take money out of your pocket. That's it! No more to it. Kinda like 90% of fishing lures. Catch fishermen not fish.

Should you practice good scent management? yes

wash with scent free soap and wash your clothing in soap that does not brighten the colors aka UV brighteners. Use a hunting deodorant too!

Carbon clothing is bull plain and simple. The science behind it was flawed from day one. Deer down wind will smell you every time. Sometimes they react and sometimes they do not. The big ones out of the rut will, toss in a rut and maybe its game on!. even if they did work none of them can fix your pie hole that belches out gas like a Pittsburgh coal fired plant.

FYI you can NOT reactive carbon anything in a dryer or even your oven set to 600deg. Its not even in the ball park temperature wise to reactivate it. at a very minimum its 1k deg F to reactivate it and it could be up as high as 2k deg F.

crap guess scent lok will not be calling for a sponsorship, spend your time and money learning to hunt in the field. gear only equals more kills when it lets you stay in the field longer and makes you more comfortable.

Best advise I think is to play the wind, you cannot fool an animals nose, its like fishing lures most are made to catch fisherman not fish I feel that's the same with sent control products. Only my 2 cents.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu