Deer processing question?

Todd98SE

Feb 26, 2018
Hello all,

Newb question about processing after the kill. Assuming i'm able to successfully harvest a early A22 deer i'm expecting warm temps even in the morning and evenings. Do you prefer to gut out the deer and then piece it out for the pack out (slower) or use the gutless method to get the cuts off the carcass quickly and packed out to the cooler faster? I don't expect a pack out longer than 3 miles back to the truck. Once back at the house can i safely leave the meat in the cooler on wet ice until I can get it dropped off at the processor?

Thanks,

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Todd,

I'm probably not the right guy to answer this question these days....I gut as soon as possible (normally right where they fall)….Where I lose ya is, I drag my deer to vehicle, regardless of distance.....Then hang in tree and skin at home....It then is taken to butcher, who is just down the street.

Deboning is only logical when hiking a long distance now....I would put the meat on ice ASAP.

A lot of guys do gutless, but I prefer to gut first... just my habit and I believe it does cool the animal down quickest. Last season I killed my buck on a very warm day (temps in the 80s) and had no issues with the meat. I gutted then quartered it and loaded into game bags for the long 5 mile hike back. As long as you keep the meat as clean and cool as you can, you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Very good replies and all are great suggestions.
Just to add and not the only solution.
I was taught after the shot or kill.

(Gut method)
I use two knives
1st cut the throat to remove any residue blood.

2nd gut out
3rd remove the scent glands.
Located at the rear legs.
Put this knife away you are done with it.

At this point I drag the deer back to
My vehicle, take it home hang it,
skin it, and if it is a semi cool day, let the skin glaze, cover with deer bag that keeps the flies out, but let's the air/breeze through.

Let it glaze for couple of hours, depending on weather then process.

I was taught to quarter, then place in a large refrigerator. And and let cure for a couple of days.
Then cut up and package as desired,

The above method is the sort of kosher way. With this method you can get round, tbone, sirloin steaks ..
Venison ribs, soup bones, shoulder roast, stew meat and on. I was taught to cut up like a butcher.
But I not as good as I use be.

I let some of the debone guys jump in for that way. But my two cents for deboning is much easier if a hunter is deep in the woods and terrain is very rugged and steep. Time is a big factor when it is hot.

Mistake I have seen is this.
Putting meat in ice, make sure there is no gut residue on the meat. Other wise when the ice melts the meet is now contaminated with bacteria.
The meat need to be washed and clean then stored in ice. Other wise a hunter is playing Russian roulette.
You may or may not get sick.

Just touching the surface.
Best to all
Longbow

Reactions: Smokey58
You will get a lot of how to but I have hunted Santa Barbara County for years and prefer to gut the animal as this will be the safest for the meat especially if you happen to hit any non-vital areas. 2nd if your going to put on ice it is best practice not to let the water from melting ice come in direct contact with the meat. GOOD LUCK....

If you skin and cut off the meat you won't ever stink up and contaminate the meat (gutless). Can't see caveman dragging and mixing dirt into the cavity.

If you skin and cut off the meat you won't ever stink up and contaminate the meat (gutless). Can't see caveman dragging and mixing dirt into the cavity.

Hi Tony no worries. Glad that has been best for you. I have never lost deer meat. But ya it's a lot of dragging. When I was younger I would carry it of the mountain. Except for a 5x4 I wacked back around 1972 it was to heavy. Had to drag it. Last kill I dragged it a least 3 miles. Had a lot of ticks, ugg,
Was not easy. I was 57 yrs old then. Point is some of us like Ford's, some Chevy's, or Dodge. It's all good.

I only have experience with 3 deer but one of them I shot on a steep slope so we laid him belly downward and dressed him out on the spot. His innards
just plopped down hill away from us and made it easier for us to quarter and carry him back up the hill and to the truck. just me 2 cents worth.

Thanks for all the tips! Having never gutted a deer before I think I’ll stick with the traditional gutting method if the opportunity presents itself.

Reactions: ke1234567

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu