Deer season dog

White Smoke

Black powder rules!
May 2, 2011
Encinitas, CA
A buddy and I were out deer hunting on the last day we had to hunt during last year's D-16 season. My buddy had a 7mm and I was shooting my Thompson Center Omega muzzleloader. We had to leave our stand at 10:30 so my buddy could make an appointment on time. Well, at 10:15, this big dog came down from the hills and stood broadside at 96 yards. Now, there is only one way to unload a muzzleloader and that's to shoot it. Since I had to unload it in 15 minutes anyway, I decided to unload it 15 minutes early. The 245-grain, 50 caliber Barnes Spitfire slug hit him right below the spine. It snapped him in half and he went down in a pile. He was a big dog, about 45 pounds and was about 2 1/2 years old. I took the head to Jon (the "beetle guy") in Lakeside for a skull mount. Good ending for a deer hunt!

Attachments

• ML Coyote.jpg
    ML Coyote.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Skull.png
    Skull.png
    667.3 KB · Views: 81
Very cool skull! I want one!! What was the cost to get the skull done like that?

Hi Wheels! Yeah, I think we have met a few times. This head was $100. All I did was to cut it off the donor and deliver it to Jon (Randomshot). He and his beetle friends did the rest. Just as an FYI, Jon skins the head and the beetles eat all the meat off the skull. Jon then de-greases the skull by putting it in a solution of water and soap (Downy, I think) for a month or two. After that, he uses epoxy and/or Bondo to set the jaws however you want the skull to look. He then paints it with several coats and colors of a metallic paint to get the effect you want. Mine is a sort of copper patina. It looks like it's bronzed and looks great with a light shining on it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu