Deer Spotting Tip for Newbies

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
I want to provide a useful training exercise that I use to improve my game eye / spotting deer.

...Buy a San Diego Zoo Safari Park season pass, bring your glass to the park and spot deer (not the ones in cages). The park is full of wild California muley's all around the outskirts of the main and you can set up a spotter or bino's on a tripod and find them.

I typically take my family once every couple of weeks and make a point to get the bino's out and spot deer. Easily find 5 to 15 out and about the hills surrounding the park.

I set up in my blue circle and look outside the fences of the African plains and Asian savanna exhibits. You can see how that stand in the brush, the way they eat, what kind of surroundings they like...aka learning about what makes them tick. It is useful experience for when you are out looking for them.

.SafariPark.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly! Get to take the family out to a place that is fairly close and fine tune some skills while at it.

I have a picture of a 12+ point buck by the rino enclosure while on the tram. I'll try to look for it when I get home to post on here. That buck looked like it came straight from the cover of a hunting magazine.

I have counted 20 or more deer or freeloaders as they are called by the staff while on the tram and that buck by the black rhinos was huge a few years ago. A great idea to sharpen your game eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent idea!
Now I just have to look for that painted blue circle when I get there... :p
I have often seen them on the access road just to the west of the park.

Thanks for the tip, the wild animal park was my favorite place growing up now i have a new reason to continue going there

I have seen some very big 4x4 bucks while riding the tram. While others are looking in at all the "Exotic" animals I am looking out and always find bedded deer.... And close to the tram too. I am far more interested in those anyway..!!! :)

Reactions: JakeSCH
Stefanie, Jacob, and I wanted to go last week-end....$164.00 bucks!....That's a lot of gas to scout the entire county.....I'll look at them from the outside.....lol

ps.....Season pass is $112.00

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu