Deer stand etiquette?

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
Hi all,
I need advice on deer stand etiquette. I was out scouting yesterday for D16. As I came up over a rise, I spotted a couple of unmistakeable grey-black paddle-shaped objects facing my way, about 50 yards or less down the path. I waited 2 minutes, then slowly crested the rise. There were 6 does grazing in an open space under a high canopy. I watched as they stotted off across the creek. I suspect there was a buck around but if he was, I never saw him. This is the best I've done scouting so my plan would be to come back to this spot when D16 opens. As I looked around for a good place from which to hunt, I saw a couple of tree stands. They are in good repair and situated in such a way that I suspect the owners hunt in tandem.

So my question is this: on NFS land, what is my obligation to someone who has put up a stand in what obviously is a solid spot with good sightlines? My spot (I would post on the ground) would be further up the draw, but if anyone shows up in the stands I'd rather not have to move to a new spot pre-dawn. I don't want to put anyone out, and I definitely do not want to get caught in any crossfire on opening day. I'll be camping in the area so among other options, I can leave notes on the ladders asking the owners to signal me if they arrive, and I would back off either over the ridge or across the ridge beyond the creek. Or I could just go over the ridge to set up, but the sight lines are not as good in that area because the canopy is lower; so if the owners don't show I'll have given up the best lines of sight in the immediate vicinity without even trying. The entrance to the area is narrow, and I'll be up well before anyone walking in would get there, so I'll know who else is in the area... but they won't know I'm there unless I let them know.

I welcome any advice.

Bottom Line is it's public land.
Last year I had someone set up a stand within 30 yds of mine. It frustrated me, but it turned out I never saw anyone sit in it, and I tagged out early. So no big deal.
They could also be guys hunting A22 only, so you might not see em during D16.

If it was me I'd hunt it and try and be as respectfull as possible.

Captaintb said:
Bottom Line is it's public land.
Last year I had someone set up a stand within 30 yds of mine. It frustrated me, but it turned out I never saw anyone sit in it, and I tagged out early. So no big deal.
They could also be guys hunting A22 only, so you might not see em during D16.

If it was me I'd hunt it and try and be as respectfull as possible.

That is admirable advice...

What Captain said....

There are lots of people out there. You've done the scouting and found a place that holds deer. If you get to a spot and people are already there, I'd work around them. If you get there first I'd expect the same but have a backup plan in case they aren't as nice. Tree stands don't equal ownership of the area. There is a treestand in one area I hunt and have only seen it occupied once in several years.

I've hunted areas for a while and then a stand pops up. It really changes nothing. If I get there and they beat me in (highly unlikely) to the area i leave it to them and hope they would do the same for me. I have ran in to an a-hole or two but I'll drop right down to there level and make so much noise leaving everything hopefully blows out. Really I don't hunt around people just where I spend my time and the ridiculousness hike to get into them keeps people out.

(There are exceptions to this. If I'm there and someone comes in with a kid or rookie I will most likely surrender the area. And always leave quietly. Or just hunt around them)

You are scouting in area that has a open deer season right now (a22) You got beat to the x. Move on to another spot.

Just do what feels right, if u have to hike a mile to get in there and there's one way in one way out and u see a truck parked at the trail head at 4 am than I'd stay out of that area that day. But if u have put time in to find the area and u have a stand in that "general area" with no vehicles at the trail head...... Hit it like a bad habit !

Thanks everyone. These were all helpful comments. I'll keep my eye on the spot and will use it if the guys don't show up. If they do show up, I'll just let them know I was there, that I'm yielding the spot to them, and to let them know where I'll be posting so they don't shoot over the hill in my direction. I'd also try to learn what their future plans are in case they won't be returning again soon.
thanks again.
:)

Public land hunting... I had a spot scouted out this season which had a real nice buck in it, someone ended up finding the spot and killing the buck.. 22" 3x2.

TaftHunter said:
Public land hunting... I had a spot scouted out this season which had a real nice buck in it, someone ended up finding the spot and killing the buck.. 22" 3x2.
Yeah, I think I saw your post about that... bummer.
But I don't think you are arguing for a stand as a "claim", right? Just that on public land, you have to show up in time to make the shot?
Anyway I'll keep trying to stay off the beaten path. I'm getting older, but I can still carry a good sized buck on my back as long as I'm not climbing over rocks. And the farther in I go, the fewer boot tracks I see... ;D

Bonejour said:
TaftHunter said:
Yeah, I think I saw your post about that... bummer.
But I don't think you are arguing for a stand as a "claim", right? Just that on public land, you have to show up in time to make the shot?
Anyway I'll keep trying to stay off the beaten path. I'm getting older, but I can still carry a good sized buck on my back as long as I'm not climbing over rocks. And the farther in I go, the fewer boot tracks I see... ;D

Dam right

First come first serve. The two stands maybe the same hunter. Sometimes you'll have a stand for sunrise and another for sunset or if the wind changes two stands helps to keep your scent from blowing over the deer.

But have a backup plan......find the pinch point in and out of that area a lot of the times you may find a better spot. I've done this in the past and have scored.

Good luck

MJB said:
First come first serve. The two stands maybe the same hunter. Sometimes you'll have a stand for sunrise and another for sunset or if the wind changes two stands helps to keep your scent from blowing over the deer.

But have a backup plan......find the pinch point in and out of that area a lot of the times you may find a better spot. I've done this in the past and have scored.

Good luck

2or3 backup plans lol

Well D-16 is opening very soon. As a bow hunter I can tell you I won't be sitting in my stand in a D-16 hunting area. I feel it is pretty much a waste of time. You get all of those d16 people out walking around and that doesn't help I feel. So I say go to the area. Hope that you get to the area first.

I can't stand hunting where other people are and I really feel that when they are caring a rifle. There are a lot of people that just picked up the rifle and walk around praying they see something. Others take the time to do some scouting. Either way I don't like being next to or near someone that can reach out and touch me at 300 yards.

Have fun most of all, if you get a deer that is a plus.

I dont hunt from a stand so i have no experience but i wouldnt leave a stand out so people could use it get a mobile ground blind like the ameristep doghouse its under $100

wheels said:
I can't stand hunting where other people are and I really feel that when they are carrying a rifle... Either way I don't like being next to or near someone that can reach out and touch me at 300 yards.

Man, I agree with that.

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts. :)

I read a lot of posts similar to this. I read and heard of issues of people finding others in their stands or blinds. People pointing guns at each other over areas being hunted on public land. Trail cams being stolen or sabotaged...

Here are my two cents, I respect the rights and property of others. I don't touch or mess with anyone else's stuff unless they gave me permission to.

If it is on public land, I would still would hunt the area IF there is no one else there (of course, if someone was there, I would go around and somewhere else to not disturb the area). HOWEVER, I still would not touch or use the other person's things. I would use my own stuff.

Now my feeling on public land, no one has the right to claim an area as theirs if they are not present. It is only fair.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu