deer validation

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
this will be my first deer hunt this year and im just about ready to go but i was looking over the regs last night and ran across validation. i know where to go and when but my question was about evidence of sex. i couldn't find this anywhere in the regs. if i quater a kill are the antlers enough and what a bout a doe for an A22 tag.

There is no evidence of sex requirement... each tag is defined in the regs as to what constitutes a legal harvest. E.g., D-16 is forked buck or better, and G-13 is antlerless (look in the regs to see how that's defined). So you need to save the head basically, or at least skull cap it I assume, if you quarter it out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sdhunt17
There is no evidence of sex requirement... each tag is defined in the regs as to what constitutes a legal harvest. E.g., D-16 is forked buck or better, and G-13 is antlerless (look in the regs to see how that's defined). So you need to save the head basically, or at least skull cap it I assume, if you quarter it out.

perfect i will use the definition as my guide line then. thanks @SurfNHuntSD

Forgot to add that A-22 is "either-sex" in SD County.. see pic for definitions.
ba69ae6767d0b7bf3ac2ed2d56e63964.jpg

help me out with this...b...male fawn under 3 inch spike are shootable?

Yes sir. Last year I came across a yearling that had a broken leg (bloody and limping around) at a good distance, so I harvested it with my G13. I was focused on its injury that I didn't notice the small ~2" spike that was hidden behind the ears. I believe the intent of this provision is to protect against this type of mis-identification. However, I would strongly recommend not targeting a young buck to keep the doe / buck ratios closer to the 1 to 1 ratio.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu